Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
Pics
I'm gonna say probably snowy :)
Thanks! I’m pleasantly surprised with this little one.
How is that possible when the mother was a black bibbed and the dad was this drake. I’m really interested to know. :D

This drakes mother was a snowy and I don’t know who it’s father was.
D7F3984F-EF54-411E-9DB3-EE8D84D1CD0C.jpeg

I just got started with 8 ducks last month. They are 4-week-old Silver Appleyards, and their big, permanent pen should be ready in a few days. We're keeping them in the front yard right now so we can keep a closer watch.

We're starting a breeding program for a small homestead. There should be 4 drakes but one of the hens looks suspicious. We plan to cull one drake for Thanksgiving and then cull again around 18 week to have the best drake from this batch. Our end goal is 6-8 dedicated egg layers and 2 breeding trios. I'm depressed because I want to hatch our next batch (adding from a different genetic source). I could do it now but that means a winter brooder and being on baby duck duty through the holidays so spring is better. Spring never seemed so far away!

At least we designed the pens with a dedicated spare pen for growing out chicks, rooster/Drake time out, or breeding. And we have a spot to add on another multi-use pen. Our duck house an 88 sqft walk in coop. Next year, bring on the ducks!

IMG_20211018_142247377.jpg

I just got started with 8 ducks last month. They are 4-week-old Silver Appleyards, and their big, permanent pen should be ready in a few days. We're keeping them in the front yard right now so we can keep a closer watch.

We're starting a breeding program for a small homestead. There should be 4 drakes but one of the hens looks suspicious. We plan to cull one drake for Thanksgiving and then cull again around 18 week to have the best drake from this batch. Our end goal is 6-8 dedicated egg layers and 2 breeding trios. I'm depressed because I want to hatch our next batch (adding from a different genetic source). I could do it now but that means a winter brooder and being on baby duck duty through the holidays so spring is better. Spring never seemed so far away!

At least we designed the pens with a dedicated spare pen for growing out chicks, rooster/Drake time out, or breeding. And we have a spot to add on another multi-use pen. Our duck house an 88 sqft walk in coop. Next year, bring on the ducks!

View attachment 2871536
I think you'll fit in well with us 💜 We're happy to have you join. Your ducks are beautiful! Have you chosen "Thanksgiving" duck yet? Do you name your ducks?

Last edited:
How is that possible when the mother was a black bibbed and the dad was this drake. I’m really interested to know. :D

Snowy is recessive, so it just means both parents were carrying it :) The dad obviously was, because you say his mother was a snowy. The female is too, you now know.

I lost a 3-week old duckling to a hawk yesterday. :hit

Last night when I counted the ducklings, one was missing. I have security cameras over my yard, so I went to the replay and I could see the hawk fly over, and all the ducks went for cover. But I couldn’t tell if it got away with anything. It didn’t look like it, so I didn’t count until dark. This morning I found the ducklings body where they all rushed to, dead, with one small blood dot on its chest. So I think when they went for cover, the hawk snatched the duckling, but dropped it. But it must have gotten enough of a grasp to puncture it. :(

*#£{%¥**ing hawks! :mad:

I lost a 3-week old duckling to a hawk yesterday. :hit

Last night when I counted the ducklings, one was missing. I have security cameras over my yard, so I went to the replay and I could see the hawk fly over, and all the ducks went for cover. But I couldn’t tell if it got away with anything. It didn’t look like it, so I didn’t count until dark. This morning I found the ducklings body where they all rushed to, dead, with one small blood dot on its chest. So I think when they went for cover, the hawk snatched the duckling, but dropped it. But it must have gotten enough of a grasp to puncture it. :(

*#£{%¥**ing hawks! :mad:
Hawks are the worse! Last year we lost all our peahens from some sort of sickness. It wiped all but one peahen but didn't get any boys. We also lost all our chicks from it. One of the hens were sitting on eggs when she died so I incubated them and got 4/4 hatch. One was even a pied! A hawk got one and we lost the rest because they were sick too. The worst part was last year we ended up with 4 pied babies for the first time and none survived. The one that the hawk took didn't even look sick compared to the rest.

Hawks are the worse! Last year we lost all our peahens from some sort of sickness. It wiped all but one peahen but didn't get any boys. We also lost all our chicks from it. One of the hens were sitting on eggs when she died so I incubated them and got 4/4 hatch. One was even a pied! A hawk got one and we lost the rest because they were sick too. The worst part was last year we ended up with 4 pied babies for the first time and none survived. The one that the hawk took didn't even look sick compared to the rest.
What sickness was that? It sounds awful!

Back
Top Bottom