Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
Pics
What sickness was that? It sounds awful!
We don't know. The only hen that survived was the one not sitting on eggs (too young). They are all free range so it could've been something they ate. The worst part was our favourite hen died and she was our favourite boys girl too. This year for breeding season I'll be incubating a few and letting the hen sit on the rest so hopefully I'll get some more girls. It was pretty discouraging though taking all the girls and chicks out to the bonfire.

I'm pretty sure Faith is my new layer. She looks more full and instead of a sideways H, she looks more like a D. Hopefully all will be well. I added a container with oyster shell and hope this helps her shell quality as the first egg was soft, but thankfully intact. I removed the egg to avoid a mess. I did not expect them to start laying this year. Once again, they've shown me what think about expectations and assumptions. Does anyone think there is anything else I should do? I have Calcium Citrate tablets but to be honest I seriously doubt I could get it in her. I have trouble getting them in my Pekin.
Do your ducks eat tomatoes?

Do your ducks eat tomatoes?
No they don't. I tried a couple of times but they weren't interested. She gobbled up mealworms this evening like she hasn't had anything to eat in days. I am so happy she ate them like she did because she's been worrying me today laying around so much and not quacking as much as usual

No they don't. I tried a couple of times but they weren't interested. She gobbled up mealworms this evening like she hasn't had anything to eat in days. I am so happy she ate them like she did because she's been worrying me today laying around so much and not quacking as much as usual
Oh, bummer. I was going to say if you cut a grape tomato just right you can slip a small calcium tablet inside and feed it to Faith like a pill pocket. I haven't found anything else that works as well. My vet suggested banana or oatmeal. I wonder about actual grapes, or any other duck safe human food.

I got powdered avian/reptile calcium from Amazon before and put mealworms in a baggie and "shake and baked" the calcium powder on them. My ducks didn't think they were as delicious but they still ate them. I've done the shake and bake method with live crickets I bought at Petco, too. I think half the crickets got away before my ducks could catch them. But I was desperate for calcium so I didn't care.

My vet prefers I deliver a specific dose down the throat with a syringe. I prefer to maintain my loving relationship where my ducks view me as the bringer of deliciousness.

I've also found that my ducks are super picky about their oyster shells and will only eat grey shaved oyster shells and not the white rock kind.

Oh, bummer. I was going to say if you cut a grape tomato just right you can slip a small calcium tablet inside and feed it to Faith like a pill pocket. I haven't found anything else that works as well. My vet suggested banana or oatmeal. I wonder about actual grapes, or any other duck safe human food.

I got powdered avian/reptile calcium from Amazon before and put mealworms in a baggie and "shake and baked" the calcium powder on them. My ducks didn't think they were as delicious but they still ate them. I've done the shake and bake method with live crickets I bought at Petco, too. I think half the crickets got away before my ducks could catch them. But I was desperate for calcium so I didn't care.

My vet prefers I deliver a specific dose down the throat with a syringe. I prefer to maintain my loving relationship where my ducks view me as the bringer of deliciousness.

I've also found that my ducks are super picky about their oyster shells and will only eat grey shaved oyster shells and not the white rock kind.
My Pekin gets a Calcium Citrate +D3 if she lays soft eggs and those tablets are HUGE. Honey Boo Boo has to have a whole tablet and it's possible but not pleasant. The tablets are the size of Faith's bill 😕

Does anyone have luck with their ducks eating crushed eggshells? Someone was billing around in the oyster shell, but I don't know if it was Faith. It's so wierd that she's being so quiet and lazy today but then eagerly got up and walked around gobbling down the mealworms. Hopefully it's just her getting used to everything.

Does anyone have luck with their ducks eating crushed eggshells? Someone was billing around in the oyster shell, but I don't know if it was Faith. It's so wierd that she's being so quiet and lazy today but then eagerly got up and walked around gobbling down the mealworms. Hopefully it's just her getting used to everything.
My ducks have eaten eggshells.

Mine don't seem to want to eat them if I crush them up and put them out there..
But if an egg gets broken in the run they eat it and they eat the egg shells from the hatched ducklings 🤷‍♀️ weird.

Back
Top Bottom