Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
Pics
@Overo Mare are you going to let her hatch chicks if she begins laying and goes broody this year. I know I am jumping way ahead of everything, but curious minds....... Several things on the check list before this is even a possibility
Box #1 Flip needs to master the art of balance and aim. Poor drakes.

Poor hens must have patience.

Hahaha! Maybe this is why their eyes are fixed in their heads, so the hens can't roll their eyes while the drakes find their groove

I am such a strange one as you can see my thoughts are all over the place. Just overlook me

I love this picture!
Ouick question, are her legs and feet pale like her bill? Honey Boo Boo is always pale and I'm wondering if my girl is possibly a white layer instead of a Pekin. My Pekin drake is larger, of course, and has bright orange bill and feet/legs.
Her legs are paler. Her bill is a bill and feet are lighter since she is laying. One of the male Pekins I had for a short while had a really pale beak. My Pekin is around 9lbs. White layers are suppose to be half the weight. Aylesbury ducks are also very similar to Pekin, but as far as I understand they are mostly found in Britian. There is also the white Duclair ducks too, but I don't know much about them. From what I googled they are more of a medium breed duck. I wouldn't put too weight on beak color, as it is not always 100% accurate. If your duck is a heavy weight, chances are she is a Pekin.

This was my male with the pale beak.
IMG_20200516_132026.jpg

Her legs are paler. Her bill is a bill and feet are lighter since she is laying. One of the male Pekins I had for a short while had a really pale beak. My Pekin is around 9lbs. White layers are suppose to be half the weight. Aylesbury ducks are also very similar to Pekin, but as far as I understand they are mostly found in Britian. There is also the white Duclair ducks too, but I don't know much about them. From what I googled they are more of a medium breed duck. I wouldn't put too weight on beak color, as it is not always 100% accurate. If your duck is a heavy weight, chances are she is a Pekin.

This was my male with the pale beak.
View attachment 2875345
I didn't know that about their bills changing color. Thank you for sharing that neat info. I'm going out to wrap her foot and lock them up for the night now. I took the scales outside and will hopefully be able to get an accurate weight for her. I noticed my Pekin drake limping 😔 No indication of bumblefoot so I suspect he landed on it in the wrong way or something. I hope it doesn't get worse. He has waddled around weirdly since he was a duckling and had a fairly severe deformity whenever I got him at a week old. It does look to be the foot that was deformed, if I'm not mistaken. Looks like I'll be carrying both Pekins down to their duck house. Too bad they'd freak out if I loaded them into a stroller. That sounds kinda fun

I didn't know that about their bills changing color. Thank you for sharing that neat info. I'm going out to wrap her foot and lock them up for the night now. I took the scales outside and will hopefully be able to get an accurate weight for her. I noticed my Pekin drake limping 😔 No indication of bumblefoot so I suspect he landed on it in the wrong way or something. I hope it doesn't get worse. He has waddled around weirdly since he was a duckling and had a fairly severe deformity whenever I got him at a week old. It does look to be the foot that was deformed, if I'm not mistaken. Looks like I'll be carrying both Pekins down to their duck house. Too bad they'd freak out if I loaded them into a stroller. That sounds kinda fun
Such a bummer. Hopefully that leg heals quickly and it is just a minor sprain. That would be pretty cute to see them in a stroller though 😄. Too bad they would freak out. What about one of those kid carriers that goes on the back of a bike?

Such a bummer. Hopefully that leg heals quickly and it is just a minor sprain. That would be pretty cute to see them in a stroller though 😄. Too bad they would freak out. What about one of those kid carriers that goes on the back of a bike?
I make it sound like a long walk or something ☺️ It's not far, at all, especially for humans. I'm just being lazy 😁 If I was any good at distance estimations I'd say how far, but as embarrassing as it is, I'm horrible at distances and always have been. They're already tucked in their house and good for the night. I carried Reggie down first. They're finishing up their yearly molt so I decided I'd carry them one at a time so I could restrain them better in hopes of avoiding any feather damage from their struggles to get away from me. 😉 Honey Boo Boo was NOT going to stand on the scale without fighting me. She knew I was changing her wrap on her foot so she had probably already made the decision to not cooperate 😂 Silly ducks 😍
How's your bumblefoot patient doing?

I make it sound like a long walk or something ☺️ It's not far, at all, especially for humans. I'm just being lazy 😁 If I was any good at distance estimations I'd say how far, but as embarrassing as it is, I'm horrible at distances and always have been. They're already tucked in their house and good for the night. I carried Reggie down first. They're finishing up their yearly molt so I decided I'd carry them one at a time so I could restrain them better in hopes of avoiding any feather damage from their struggles to get away from me. 😉 Honey Boo Boo was NOT going to stand on the scale without fighting me. She knew I was changing her wrap on her foot so she had probably already made the decision to not cooperate 😂 Silly ducks 😍
How's your bumblefoot patient doing?
When we take ducklings for some outside time, it seem like such a long walk. They don't ever want to cooperate. It is not that long of a distance either, but we would put them in a big container in a wagon. We got lazy carrying the container 😁. I just think they would be cute in one of those bike trailers. And they might not actually mind it too much.

She is doing pretty good. Tired of being treated but otherwise doing well. She has become a pretty good patient. She just lets us carry her and doesn't fight us. However, I think I need to get duck booties. She is starting to learn how to get her wrap off, or my other duck took it off, or taught her how to take it off. I wish she would molt though. I may actually need to try and force her to molt. If all my ducks have molted and she still hasn't, I am going to need to look into it.

@Overo Mare are you going to let her hatch chicks if she begins laying and goes broody this year. I know I am jumping way ahead of everything, but curious minds....... Several things on the check list before this is even a possibility
Box #1 Flip needs to master the art of balance and aim. Poor drakes.

Poor hens must have patience.

Hahaha! Maybe this is why their eyes are fixed in their heads, so the hens can't roll their eyes while the drakes find their groove

I am such a strange one as you can see my thoughts are all over the place. Just overlook me
Definitely not this year! Maybe next year. Though I want to hatch them myself. 🤪

When we take ducklings for some outside time, it seem like such a long walk. They don't ever want to cooperate. It is not that long of a distance either, but we would put them in a big container in a wagon. We got lazy carrying the container 😁. I just think they would be cute in one of those bike trailers. And they might not actually mind it too much.

She is doing pretty good. Tired of being treated but otherwise doing well. She has become a pretty good patient. She just lets us carry her and doesn't fight us. However, I think I need to get duck booties. She is starting to learn how to get her wrap off, or my other duck took it off, or taught her how to take it off. I wish she would molt though. I may actually need to try and force her to molt. If all my ducks have molted and she still hasn't, I am going to need to look into it.
All hail duck booties!

I have them in pink. One for each foot. I have extra for when they are drying. Not only are they functional, they are adorable. My ducks are masters at removing them, but a strip of vet wrap at the top thwarts then everytime.

I found a warm Faith egg this morning and then found an egg that I missed yesterday somehow. The found egg was sitting in some water, so I believe I should trash it. All 3 of the most recent eggs have had nice shells so I'm so relieved about that. After I toss yesterday's egg, I am still at 1 egg collected. A couple of my little bantam chicken hens somehow knocked over the carton and banged up the egg from a couple of days ago. I really shouldn't let her hatch them anyway so I believe this is just life's way of confirming this.
😂 I suppose the chickens could be more intelligent than we give them credit for and the broken egg wasn't an accident. Maybe they're taking a stand against more ducks and selectively found and damaged Faith's egg 😂

Back
Top Bottom