Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
Yes I did. šŸ™‚ I just paid pet price, not show price but they are very nice!
Woot woot! I'll be getting an exhibition pair from him next fall. Still can't decide if I want butterscotch or pastel. I think from a breeding standpoint, pastel would let me do more. I imagine I'll eventually have both, but homegirl is broke and can't really even afford one pair so.... Pacing myself. šŸ¤£

So I noticed something interesting on my blue swede today. She has some black coloring on her feathers. I know ducks can whiten, but can some blacken? Or does this has to do with the heterozygous nature of blue ducks?

PXL_20220121_011811847.jpg

So I noticed something interesting on my blue swede today. She has some black coloring on her feathers. I know ducks can whiten, but can some blacken? Or does this has to do with the heterozygous nature of blue ducks?

View attachment 2967235

I have some blue calls with random darker feathers. Chickens too. I always assumed it was just the nature of blue.

Iā€™d love to see a full pic of her. I had black Swedes, always wanted blue.
F05BF573-9058-40B9-8726-155AB98F1716.jpeg

You already know my vote šŸ’œ
Woot woot! I'll be getting an exhibition pair from him next fall. Still can't decide if I want butterscotch or pastel. I think from a breeding standpoint, pastel would let me do more. I imagine I'll eventually have both, but homegirl is broke and can't really even afford one pair so.... Pacing myself. šŸ¤£

I have some blue calls with random darker feathers. Chickens too. I always assumed it was just the nature of blue.

Iā€™d love to see a full pic of her. I had black Swedes, always wanted blue.
View attachment 2967259
Those two are adorable!

It must be the nature of blue. I never read about it, so I was really curious.

Here is my Blue.
DSC_1661.JPG

View attachment 2967235

That's so neat looking! I love blue/Lav, (that color!!! šŸ˜‚) on all poultry šŸ˜ To be completely honest, it's one of my favorite colors šŸ’œ

@Isadora How's handsome Keifer doing? Have you introduced him to the flock?

@WVduckchick and @Overo Mare are y'all supposed to be getting anymore snow from this new storm that's moving through NC tonight and tomorrow? Have y'all thawed from last weekend yet? I know Mare and her 12 inches hasn't thawed yet. How are the ducks handling it? What about the chicken/s?

My guess would be that if she is in the first stages of laying, sheā€™s just a little irritable and the others notice. I feel like it will pass. My drakes are getting rowdy, and Iā€™ve noticed them going after younger girls that probably arenā€™t ready yet, but the boys try anyway. It just makes for overall tension when the ā€¦. umā€¦. Love juices start flowing. ;)

Iā€™d suggest keeping an eye on her. You could try an epsom salt bath, but probably not necessary.
And I believe itā€™s been a while since you posted pics of them, I personally would love to see them again. :D

Edit - I also meant to say, when they are laying, their bellies almost drag the ground, and are less round than when they arenā€™t laying. Itā€™s almost like you can imagine an egg in the lowest part of their belly, just waiting to pop out. Lol
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my extremely long post and replying šŸ’œ I forgot to add that another reason I was a little worried is because she was the only duck, out of all 17, that jumped into their poop while it was slush, mostly ice, and hung out like nothing was different. I imagine if that made any difference, she'd probably be sneezing and more sick acting. Today she was a little bit more like herself. She will talk to me but I haven't had to rush to the window or out the door to figure out what's wrong or what she's calling to since this started and I really miss her loud chatter šŸ˜¢ Paisley is still giving her a hard time and Tulley is still Paisley's shadow, nothing more. Faith has been so much more sweet since she's not laying (or at least I don't think she is - abdomen has shrunken and she's not so unfriendly if I'm in the duck house) but she looks so rough! Her feathers are so sunbleached and just tattered looking. It's not like wet feather. What's the saying, "rode hard and put up wet"? That's Faith, quite literally šŸ¤£ With the winter storm moving in, it's been so gloomy and rainy outside today but I really do need to get some new pictures of my Littles. The drakes look to be molting back into eclipse plumage, but I guess it's just their timing or I've not figured it out yet. Maybe that's another thing that's making Paisley more grumpy. I find myself fussing at him constantly to leave Lylah alone and giving Tulley a "be a man!" talk šŸ˜‚ It's crazy how Paisley almost transports to Faith's side even if I'm messing with her. It's kinda sweet but then again, I thought he liked me. I guess he tolerates me but trusts no one near his queen šŸ¤­

X 2!! Heather is stingy with the pics! :pop
I take SO many pictures with plans to share on this thread but I am just not good at taking nice pictures like y'all. So I end up not posting them. Seriously, my pictures look like a toddler took them šŸ˜³ I could and do spend so much time looking at the pictures y'all post. When it comes to my own pictures, I'm picking out everything that I hate about the picture and what I should have changed and can't look too long šŸ¤£ I guess it goes right along with the saying "we are our hardest critics". I do need to share pics of my sweeties though, so I'll work on getting some current pictures of the ducks šŸ˜

Back
Top Bottom