Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
I sold 20 Call Ducks, so I just have 20 Call Ducks left. But... I have 20 call duck eggs in the incubator. :lol:
I'm sure I don't need to keep them all.
I'm so happy to see that I'm not the only one that's ready to get the incubator running and full of duck eggs! Did all 20 of your Calls go to the same person? How did you decide which ones to sell? You have so many gorgeous Calls 💜

I was watching my girl Phoenix yesterday, she was scooting around on her belly, and the boys were being a little too rough on her. I grabbed her for a minute, but she wasn’t happy about it. This was my loner duckling that sat on my lap nightly for the first 2 months of her life!

But anyway, she walked away from me and a bit later, she was standing in a puddle getting a drink. She was making weird motions and I was really worried. But then plop! Out pops an egg! Right before my eyes! 😆
It’s soft, so I assume it’s her first.
D20DB328-853E-4539-A907-1DD83CA2E817.jpeg
1F2FDD44-99FC-42BA-90E2-2A6FA488B451.jpeg

I'm so happy to see that I'm not the only one that's ready to get the incubator running and full of duck eggs! Did all 20 of your Calls go to the same person? How did you decide which ones to sell? You have so many gorgeous Calls 💜
Yes, an older guy with a farm bought all 20.
I had some interest splitting them up, but no one followed through.
I have decided to just breed whites, black magpies, butterscotchs, and my silvers (I have what I think are a silver bibbed and 2 silver magpies).
What I call magpies are more anconas. ? spelling?

I was watching my girl Phoenix yesterday, she was scooting around on her belly, and the boys were being a little too rough on her. I grabbed her for a minute, but she wasn’t happy about it. This was my loner duckling that sat on my lap nightly for the first 2 months of her life!

But anyway, she walked away from me and a bit later, she was standing in a puddle getting a drink. She was making weird motions and I was really worried. But then plop! Out pops an egg! Right before my eyes! 😆
It’s soft, so I assume it’s her first.
View attachment 3014409View attachment 3014411
That is so exciting that you watched her lay her first egg! We have 2 babies that we hatched out last year and we are anxiously waiting for them to start laying this spring :):):):)🤞

IMG_20220228_174150704_HDR~2.jpg

Buff girls looking a little scruffy.

Still waiting for eggs😞
IMG_20220228_174053144_HDR~2.jpg

They've all become one flock with two completely different personalities. The saxony are terrified of me while the buff will step all over me. None of them want to be my friend but the buff are definitely more friendly when I have food.

IMG_20220228_174530213~2.jpg

The guineas like the ducks but tried to murder my roo🤦🏻‍♀️

On the topic of picky ducks (a few days ago but oh well). Our birds eat kitchen scraps as a large part of their diet. Still get layer feed and free range mix too. Been doing it for years. In all that time, all our other animals come running for food every time someone goes out there, even if there's no food to be given. Except the ducks. I go out to chuck out the scraps and everyone is in the area I chuck them out except for the ducks :he They're lucky I love them

On the topic of picky ducks (a few days ago but oh well). Our birds eat kitchen scraps as a large part of their diet. Still get layer feed and free range mix too. Been doing it for years. In all that time, all our other animals come running for food every time someone goes out there, even if there's no food to be given. Except the ducks. I go out to chuck out the scraps and everyone is in the area I chuck them out except for the ducks :he They're lucky I love them
For whatever reason my runners will eat anything I give them and it can be completely new to them, but my other larger breeds are pretty picky as well as my geese. It’s funny that the lightweight breed is the one to eat the most, but that is probably why my runners are so fat compared to others, their all a bit of a glutton with food. What are your breeds?

82821176-163A-4DAA-8996-36D9A5A830FA.jpeg
58D0CF88-8A6B-46A6-8619-51EE0DB67ABE.jpeg
BF984B2D-C944-4778-8CFC-FAA768414BF2.jpeg
E257BD6B-6B61-45E7-A28E-82F26968C26C.jpeg
756167BC-AA2F-41E0-B6C2-3C37DCEFC801.jpeg
7447D6CE-503C-43F2-9DFB-EFD85FBC23B5.jpeg
0BD29AD4-5D5D-481B-BB85-419C0EC12D9D.jpeg
It’s that day. The day the ducks find out what lies beneath the snow. The answer is glorious mud! Also, some corn, apparently. Sun and fresh air for all! I finally got to examine Daphne, and her feet are in poor shape after too many -20 degree nights this winter. I think that time + warm(er) weather + lots of floating in the pool will help, but I’m not sure she’ll be able to take another winter. But for now, she’s still bright, still interested in the glorious muddy mess outside.

View attachment 3016194View attachment 3016196View attachment 3016197View attachment 3016198View attachment 3016199View attachment 3016200View attachment 3016201It’s that day. The day the ducks find out what lies beneath the snow. The answer is glorious mud! Also, some corn, apparently. Sun and fresh air for all! I finally got to examine Daphne, and her feet are in poor shape after too many -20 degree nights this winter. I think that time + warm(er) weather + lots of floating in the pool will help, but I’m not sure she’ll be able to take another winter. But for now, she’s still bright, still interested in the glorious muddy mess outside.
Nice pics

Back
Top Bottom