Duck and drake fighting?!

lilynne86

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2016
One of my ducks keeps fighting with a drake, they've grown up together since ducklings. They're about 5 months old now, and it seems like there's just a lot of noise and pulling at chest feathers, then it's over! Any reason why? I wondered if it's because they've become mature and there's hormones flying??

One of my ducks keeps fighting with a drake, they've grown up together since ducklings. They're about 5 months old now, and it seems like there's just a lot of noise and pulling at chest feathers, then it's over! Any reason why? I wondered if it's because they've become mature and there's hormones flying??
Yes hormones are going strong. Hopefully your drakes will not go any further and one will be come the dominant drake the other 2nd in command. All depends on how many females there is? Drakes need at least 2-4 females each to be happy but they still may fight over them. The more females the merrier.

3 boys, 5 girls
1f648.png
however, the drakes all get on fine, in fact normally hang around together, it's just this one girl and boy that have wee tussles!

3 boys, 5 girls
1f648.png
however, the drakes all get on fine, in fact normally hang around together, it's just this one girl and boy that have wee tussles!
Seems there is always a few that want to be trouble makers. You might try time out for a few days and see if shaking up the pecking order makes any difference. Hormones seem to rule their lil waddling bodies though but might be worth a try.

Separate them? I think it's her that's the troublemaker, she is the noisiest duck I've ever encountered!!

Separate them? I think it's her that's the troublemaker, she is the noisiest duck I've ever encountered!!
You could try putting them in a pen by them selves and see if separating them makes any difference you could also try separating them from each other maybe giving the one you separate another duck or drake and see if after a few days or how ever long it takes.
Sounds like your female is the instigator.I have a few that love to hear themselves talk too. lol

Last edited:
My Buff Hen loves my Welsh Drake...I also have a Call Drake...The Buff always Chases the Call Drake out of the pool and away from feed...I think it is a Top Hens way to keep other Drakes from breeding her...I also think Duck pecking order is way different than Chickens....For the most part they get along great...She is just Boss Hen and follows the lead Drake....

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom