DUCK BEAK GONE

This may not be a popular comment, but honestly I doubt there is much more a vet can do, other than charge you a huge bill. (no pun intended lol)

We have seen some pretty severe bill injuries that ducks learn to cope with. I personally would wait a day or two before rushing to the vet. Provide plenty of clean water, and try wet feed until he learns to eat.

This is a new duckling of mine, first two pics were the day I found it bleeding, last 2 pics are 3 and 4 days later.
I realize it’s not the same, but I believe that raw end will crust over pretty quickly. I didn’t put anything in it, just wiped the blood until it stopped bleeding.
08392151-C747-4374-82DE-99E9A8BA1E2D.jpeg 90D0B372-09B6-4B62-A01E-B964EFFEB1F6.jpeg A0CC9391-5734-42D8-A5E0-F8946A9D69DB.jpeg 03CD6826-2DB8-4213-A8FC-8B6CD5F133A0.jpeg

I thought I’d post an update. The vet bill was $78, far less than what I was expecting. They told me to keep him in the pen for a few days until he learns how to eat on his own good, and that it’s a small enough amount that it will grow back within the next few months, however I now have the dilemma of having to keep them here for the next few months. Any ideas on what I should do to keep them safe?

I’ve seen prosthetics for beaks before for damage like this... don’t know how expensive though.

I think there was a show about prosthetics for animals, and I’m pretty sure one of the episodes was about a goose who had something similar happen to him. They made a resin ‘cast’ and custom fitted it and everything, giving him a ‘naturally’ shaped bill again. I don’t remember where I saw it, but I’ll try finding it.

I think there was a show about prosthetics for animals, and I’m pretty sure one of the episodes was about a goose who had something similar happen to him. They made a resin ‘cast’ and custom fitted it and everything, giving him a ‘naturally’ shaped bill again. I don’t remember where I saw it, but I’ll try finding it.

I don’t know if this is the same one I saw before, but here is a quick video of a goose who had a 3D printed beak.

Back
Top Bottom