Duck Bleeding From Mouth & Butt

Duckmom051992

Hatching
May 26, 2024
My duck started coughing this morning. Put her in a warm bath she is bleeding from her mouth and pooping out blood string cloths. She has a reproductive disorder for almost 2 years and gets hormone injections. Also on daily medicine which I know can eventually harm the organs. Is this what’s happening? With the holiday my vet is unavailable and all emergency vets do not have an exotic vet on staff but offered euthanasia. I’m not sure what to do.

My duck started coughing this morning. Put her in a warm bath she is bleeding from her mouth and pooping out blood string cloths. She has a reproductive disorder for almost 2 years and gets hormone injections. Also on daily medicine which I know can eventually harm the organs. Is this what’s happening? With the holiday my vet is unavailable and all emergency vets do not have an exotic vet on staff but offered euthanasia. I’m not sure what to do.
How is her breathing? Does she seem in pain? What medication is she on and how long for? How old is she?

The coughing blood makes me think internal injury and bleeding, perhaps as simple as eating something sharp. But the pooping blood at the same time is a bit more startling. Id suggest a search on the forum for past cases of coughing blood. However if she seems to be suffering, please keep in mind whatever is happening, it sounds severe.
We do our absolute best to help our ducks, but when it's internal, to do with their organs, there's not much to do.
The kindest thing, unfortunately, could be letting her go.

If she seems somewhat okay, interactive, drinking, etc. I'd consider quickly covering the Internet for wisdom on this. There might be time to try something before letting her go.

Just my two cents

Back
Top Bottom