Duck Breed Focus - Ancona

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sumi, Nov 28, 2015.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I also breed and raise Ancona Call Ducks.

These are pure calls, some are a little larger bodied and have longer bills, but with the ancona pattern. I am working on size and conformation to get them smaller and more to the call duck body standard. So I usually have "culls" for sale if anyone wants some.

Here are some pics of my breeders and some of this years babies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Just a few more of my standard anconas. These are some breeders and culls as they are all together for the winter now. Though I cull the non-keepers as people want them or as I have time to process for the freezer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DKFarms and N F C like this.
  3. MonTXChickens

MonTXChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2014
    Montgomery, TX
    How would I know for sure?

4. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    You would need to know the bloodlines of your birds (or the ones you intend to buy).
    Ask around. There are many reputable breeders (I'm happy to chat via PM if you want names and such) who are happy to discuss their birds and lines.

DKFarms likes this.
  5. Twoandhelp

Twoandhelp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    I love mine. And I'm loving these pics! I'll try to add some pics later. I don't have any papers or anything on mine though. Is there away to have them tested @learycow ?

6. Doctorbeer

Doctorbeer New Egg

Nov 24, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought a set of 6 Ancona Eggs off ebay 2 months ago and they all hatched and are growing great. I love them, they are really sweet ducks and they mingle with the other group of ducks well enough that they are starting to merge into one group now. Their colors are amazing!

7. N F C

N F C just 1 more cup pls Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @Doctorbeer wonderful pictures, it's fun to see the different markings on them. Congrats on a great hatch!

8. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Unfortunately there isn't a test to find out.
    Feel free to PM me where you got yours. I'd be happy to chat about them and tell you what I know!

9. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper

Nov 3, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also am a small breeder of Ancona ducks. I absolutely love the breed and all the patterns and colors. We have black, blue, chocolate, and lavender in our breeding stock but we will be producing all possible colors this following year. I have been breeding ours for size, laying ability, color/pattern, temperment, and foraging ability. We get an assortment of egg colors also ranging from green, blue, white, and even black/grey eggs. They have been an awesome adventure here as we continue to improve each and every year on markings and consistency in size. Again, I absolutely LOVE Anconas! I will help anyone out with this breed at anytime. Feel free to PM me or @learycow! We both love the breed and to talk all things ancona!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper

Nov 3, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Here an additional picture of eggs from our ancona. Everything left of the brown eggs are ancona. They are all eggs from this year's ducks that are just starting to lay so right now they aren't much bigger than a chicken egg but by spring they'll be huge!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by