Duck Breed Focus - Ancona

Can anyone tell me if the one on the right could possibly b a boy or not? He has white tail feathers like his brother, but his sister has grey tail feathers. I was hoping that is a boy trait
Any pics?
Color of the tail doesn't determine gender. Depending on how old, by 10 weeks you can tell for sure by voice. Males are quiet and raspy and females are loud and more ear piercing.
If 3 1/2 to 4 months (or older unless molting) then males will have a curly tail feather and females won't

Can someone please tell me if this duckling is an Ancona? The lady working the hatchery was not the usual lady, she was a family friend and didn't seem to know much about ducklings.
It has a heart mark on its forehead.

Can someone please tell me if this duckling is an Ancona? The lady working the hatchery was not the usual lady, she was a family friend and didn't seem to know much about ducklings. It has a heart mark on its forehead.
Pic of feet? It looks similar to mine when they were babies but I'm not an expert. Mine had black markings on their feet too

Can someone please tell me if this duckling is an Ancona? The lady working the hatchery was not the usual lady, she was a family friend and didn't seem to know much about ducklings.
It has a heart mark on its forehead.

I think you have a cute little Ancona. Ancona should have the markings under the eyes like that (though not all will). Here are photos of our Ancona female as a baby and a group of baby ancona's I raised for a friend last year (my drake is in that group).

You can see that in these all of them have the line under the eye. (the black in the back had one but it was faint)

I know this is an older thread, but I love my ducks and want to show them off! I have a smallish flock of Ancona, just got them last year so this is my first year breeding them. I chose this breed because they lay well and also are big enough to make eating the males worthwhile (love roasted duck, yum!), plus they look unique and beautiful. I enjoy ducks in general for their hardiness and ability to thrive in our yucky, cold western NY winters and shoulder seasons. Here are some of my adult flock; they are on their way to clean up under my bird feeder off the porch.

I think you have a cute little Ancona. Ancona should have the markings under the eyes like that (though not all will). Here are photos of our Ancona female as a baby and a group of baby ancona's I raised for a friend last year (my drake is in that group).

You can see that in these all of them have the line under the eye. (the black in the back had one but it was faint)

What cute babies you have! Thank you for the information. :)

Back
Top Bottom