Duck Breed Focus - Cayuga

They are beautiful
love.gif

I love my two Cayuga girls. Best ducks I've ever had, and so friendly! ^-^

Speaking of the color change, here is my Nutmeg on her first birthday (she is also in my avatar as a duckling). You can see the splash of white that is starting on her side there. This appeared after her moult this year. My other Cayuga has just a tiny spot of white on her belly now after her moult, so I'm guessing they will get more and more white with each moult. Kind of fun to see how they will look as they get older. :)

Wonderful choice for duck breed focus! I happen to really enjoy my beautiful Ebony and Jade, who are probably some of the biggest ducks I've ever seen. As a matter of fact, my mom jokes that they practically resemble geese more than anything.
tongue.png
Strange, Cayugas are supposed to be a decently quiet duck, but my two are actually the loudest of the flock and far out-quack the Khakis, Mallards, and Buff.

Ebony and Jade with their "sister", Indi the Blue Runner.

About 20 weeks old now, they are nearly done molting their immature wing feathers. This photo was taken a couple of months ago.

I've been trying to capture Jade's blue and purple feathers, but so far, I have failed to accurately portray her beauty. Also, she sports rusty streaks behind her eyes and under her chin.

-Alex

Last edited:
@Alexandra33 your ducks are beautiful! Thanks for sharing the photos.

I picked up two black ducklings along with two other colorful ducklings(Rouen) in TSC's last shipment of chick-days. According to one of the associates, they had never seen anything but white ducklings come through the store. (Me either.) Turns out one is a Cayuga while the other appears to be a black runner(possibly mixed, doesn't quite stand just right. He would also be the only runner duck I have.) I was thrilled when I discovered he was a Cayuga. I have been wanting one but there aren't any local breeders. Now he spends his days with my mixed flock of 5 Pekin, 1 White Crested, 1 Black Runner, 1 Rouen, 1 Cayuga(Him), 3 Muscovy, and two goats (the ducks slip under the gate and hang out in the goat pen). I am hoping to add Khaki Campbell next. (This is not a breeding flock, I am just duck-crazy lol)

Ebony and Jade with their "sister", Indi the Blue Runner.

About 20 weeks old now, they are nearly done molting their immature wing feathers. This photo was taken a couple of months ago.

I've been trying to capture Jade's blue and purple feathers, but so far, I have failed to accurately portray her beauty. Also, she sports rusty streaks behind her eyes and under her chin.

-Alex
Well, here's my ducks wish list illustrated ^^^^ I saw a blue Runner at a show a few weeks ago. Oh my heck, they are stunning!

at this moment i have no cayugas, but last year i had 1, his name was gizmo. i bought him at our feed store along with 3 other ducks- 2 swedish and a magpie- i had no idea what breed he was but i did research and i found out he was a cayuga, he got along with my other ducks and chickens, he was protective of his female friends, he would nip at my dog if he got to close. i showed him at out county fair he was held back for champion but he lost to some sebastopol geese.

i wish i had some pictures of him to put on this thread but at the moment i do not have any.

i sold him last year to a farmer along with my other ducks because we could not keep them over the winter, and this year i had white crewsted ducks and i sold them to the same farmer and she said that they are doing fine and that they are the boss of the other ducks.

Well, here's my ducks wish list illustrated ^^^^ I saw a blue Runner at a show a few weeks ago. Oh my heck, they are stunning!
These two breeds are absolutely worth getting, especially when you consider that they are the most docile ducks I've met thus far, as well as being the prettiest. Now just to see how their laying abilities are, although I'm fully aware that they probably won't compare to my Khakis in that area. What is the standard age at which ducks begin laying? I have forgotten for some reason....
tongue.png

-Alex

Back
Top Bottom