Duck Breed Focus - Cayuga

Hi everyone,
Here's my update on Pyrtle and Samantha, 23 week old Cayuga ducks. Pyrtle (the suspected male) is more green and quite a bit larger than Samantha. Pyrtle did not quack for nearly 3 months and still does not quack nearly as much as Samantha...but when "he" does, it is boisterous and loud. He mounts the female often in their pond but there is no evidence of male parts! Last week for the first time ever, I saw Samantha mount Pyrtle which made me feel more confident that they are actually both females. No eggs yet. I certainly have no problem waiting to see who lays an egg to know for sure...my concern was about the harm a male duck can do if trying to mate a hen.

It seems they should be laying eggs soon. I will keep you posted because if my Pyrtle ends up being a male with a VERY loud quack, I'll be the queen of future "drakes that quack" threads!!! LOL!
If you could get a video of them, we can tell you which one is which.:D

57665AC8-1360-4ADC-BDD8-619581E3B763.jpeg

This is our pretty girl Esmeralda just before he grew drake feathers and we realized he was a boy. Now I still want my grey egg layer!

If you could get a video of them, we can tell you which one is which.:D
Okay, I just posted a YouTube video...not a good one for viewing them but I can post pics for that. My "suspect" drake is the very loud quack that sounds like he is laughing..."ha. ha, ha" and the simple quack is the smaller, less green female. They are 7 months old, no eggs, no drake feather. The "drake" mounts the female every day and looks like he knows what "he" is doing although upon inspection immediately thereafter, there is no penis!
What do you think?

You have two VERY beautiful females. They are so so so pretty. By the looks of their bills before the video started, I would have said moreso male. But there is no denying they are girls!!

Back
Top Bottom