Duck candling day 7 question

cmelancon89

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2017
I'm on day 7 with two pekin duck eggs. I noticed veining on day 3 or 4. I watched a few videos and on day 7 you can see the embryo. When I candles my eggs today I saw more veining but half the egg is dark. It wasn't completely dark in the room though. I'm candling from the top (through the air sack) with the light shinning down. I'm going to look again with completely darkness later. Does that sound like my babies died since half the egg is dark? Am I candling correctly?

Thanks. I didn't see an embryo but I was in a hurry, not wanting to have the incubator open too long. I'm going to try again and see if I can spot any signs of an embryo.

When I candled my Duck eggs I clearly seen an embryo bouncing on day 12........Try on Day 10.....I am on Day 21 today......Do not worry about temp loss, humidity or the eggs getting cold...You can also pop the top back on as you candle each egg?.....I am a total nervous wreck waiting.....

Best of luck.......

Cheers!

Thank you! I'll check again on day 10 and if I don't see the embryo I'll check day 12. Good luck with yours!

I'm on day 7 with two pekin duck eggs. I noticed veining on day 3 or 4. I watched a few videos and on day 7 you can see the embryo. When I candles my eggs today I saw more veining but half the egg is dark. It wasn't completely dark in the room though. I'm candling from the top (through the air sack) with the light shinning down. I'm going to look again with completely darkness later. Does that sound like my babies died since half the egg is dark? Am I candling correctly?
I candle in a completely dark room, no windows, and can see much better that way.
Luckily that room is very close to bator and I just take one egg at a time to room replacing bator lid each time I remove/replace an egg.
That technique has worked well for me.

As the embryo grows the egg will 'darken' as the body fills the space.
Sometimes you can see the outline of the chick and sometimes it's just 'dark' in there,
by lock down sometimes you can hardly see anything but 'dark'.

I've only incubated chicken eggs.....do duck eggs take 28 days?

Yes 28 days for pekin. Longer for certain breeds. I actually added chicken eggs on day 7. Only on day 9 for my ducks and 2 for chickens

Back
Top Bottom