Duck Coop? Cost?

I saw a chicken coop for €249.00 for 6 laying hens
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
but it is definatly OK for 2 pekin ducks. There are other ones for sale on that website.
ya.gif

{I havn't got the coop yet but I will when the time comes!}
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
I agree with Lydia, it is MUCH cheaper to build your own. We reused materials which is why ours only cost $55 when we expanded it! You can make it as intricate or simple as you want (and your skill allows).

I suppose it's a good enough price, I've seen better and I've seen worse prices..but the hoop coop is a neat idea overall :)

Last edited:
I built my chicken coop 8'x7' using a lot of salvaged materials and it cost me $340. Later I added a hoop run using 3 cow panels. Again, I had salvaged materials, and I used what I had. I used 6"x8"x12' beams because that's what I had. Since they weren't treated, I put them up on cinder blocks that I had. I was out the cost of the cow panels, about $60 and hog rings and hardware cloth.

I built my chicken coop 8'x7' using a lot of salvaged materials and it cost me $340. Later I added a hoop run using 3 cow panels. Again, I had salvaged materials, and I used what I had. I used 6"x8"x12' beams because that's what I had. Since they weren't treated, I put them up on cinder blocks that I had. I was out the cost of the cow panels, about $60 and hog rings and hardware cloth.

It looks great too. we used left over materials from building sites when my ds worked construction, instead of hauling off scrap wood to the land fill he brought it home to us. Got a nice duck house out of it. your run looks very secure. do you have hardware cloth on the bottom too?

I skirted the coop and run with two feet wide 1"x2" welded wire. The floor of the coop and run is dirt. Right now the run is 2 feet deep in packed and crushed leaves. I gather leaves in the fall, put in the coop and run and the girls scratch them to pieces and poop all over them. They make my compost for the garden! We had snow twice and 2 ice storms when we only see snow maybe once in 5 years. It has been muddy and the leaves have really helped.

I read so many horror stories in the predator forum before I built my coop and got chickens, so I built it strong and hard to break into. I later got a Great Pyrenees free because she killed chickens. I was glad I built the coop so strong. It took 2 years, but she finally decided to be a chicken guardian instead of a chicken killer. I can turn them out with full confidence in my Great Pyrenees.

I like that pen! i'd like to make one as a shelter for my ducks, been a brutal winter and although they free range kinda hard too with several feet of snow and ice.
roll.png

Last edited:
Read this thread. I don't have a problem with a snow load here, but this thread explains how to build a hoop coop super strong to withstand heavy snow. I love love love my hoop run. It was easy to construct even for me, with no building experience!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270088/permanent-hoop-coop-in-progress-update-see-post-34

Thanks i'll have a look at it, i was thinking it would be great to get them out of the coop and into somewhere there is some ground... Heck, some of them today we're in with the sheep so desperate for a new place to be lol

Back
Top Bottom