duck coop design

metallica21156

In the Brooder
May 2, 2016
I know generally its recommend to have the coop off the ground to help with warmth in the winter. My question is if i put down 1" foam board then plywood directly on the ground be just as good as above the ground?

ducks are pretty cold hardy generally. but why is being off the ground better for warmth--i thought bridges usually iced up before roads, suggesting otherwise? but knowing what your climate is like and how cold it gets would be helpful. theres a big dif between 40 F and -40F, and humidity matters too.

a bigger concern for most id think is usually managing the wet poo and the moisture from bathing and watering to avoid stinking bedding and rotting wood... i dunno though--ive only ever kept ducks on dirt with leaves or wood chips on top... and i currently live in the tropics...

Id say coldest it might get here is 10-20f below. I've thought about the mess as well which currently when they are in the coop they get no water or food but thats just now which is at night. I'm wondering whats going to happen soon when its cold temps during the day. Another reason im looking into the floor level is itd be easier for them to go in and out.

Back
Top Bottom