Duck coop water

FFFarm20

Chirping
Jul 20, 2020
What do you suggest for water storage in a duck coop? I currently use 3 large Pyrex bowls and they just make a huge mess and seem to drink or spill most of it before 6am when I let them out. Also ideas for a feeder would be nice. They are usually out of their coop from 6am-8pm. NH here.

We do not offer any water inside the duckhouse, but 99% of the time, they have 24/7 access to their run. There is a 5-gallon bucket in the run (heated bucket in winter) that is changed daily.

For feed, we just use a pretty shallow and wide black feed tub for their grain and a smaller tub for their oyster shells.

I use plastic bowls from the dollar store. About 7inches high and 12 around. I'm lucky to have mine in a stall with a drain. Be sure if you take their water away at night to remove the feed too as they can choke.

A lot of folks will take large containers like 3 - 5 gallon buckets and cut holes in the sides - big enough to get their heads into but not their bodies, high up enough that the water inside is deep enough to get their whole heads in, not so high that they strangle themselves trying to reach over the edge and get their heads in.

They'll still dirty it up with their feed, but they wont be able to splash and knock it over or get their whole bodies in and then soak their bedding. You can keep it even drier by placing the container on top of something like this to catch any drips. https://www.target.com/p/nordic-ware-oven-bacon-pan/-/A-51775158

If you want to provide them with something to bathe in thats another problem but the principles are generally the same - something they cant tip over, placed far enough away from bedding they could soak or placed on top of something that will drain out the excess water instead of letting it collect in a puddle.

For feed - big dog bowls that are sloped outward so they cant stand on the lip and flip them over work.

I'm not worried about bathing at night thankfully. We haven't installed a run yet so its just the coop at night. Just wanted to make sure they had food and water. Might try that 5 gallon bucket idea. Also thinking of putting a trough type system on the outer walls for their food.

This is the five-gallon bucket we use for them in the run and to which they have 24/7 access 99.9% of the time. It's worked great, as it attaches to the wall and is deep enough for them to get their whole heads into. We change it once a day usually. They have never tried to get in it, but we did cover half of the heated winter bucket with ply.

20200829_113021.jpg

This is what we use for grain, and the smaller bowl to the right is for oyster shells and eggshells.

20200828_183245.jpg

On the rare occasion they get locked in at night, we don't offer food or water, and they are fine until morning.

This is the five-gallon bucket we use for them in the run and to which they have 24/7 access 99.9% of the time. It's worked great, as it attaches to the wall and is deep enough for them to get their whole heads into. We change it once a day usually. They have never tried to get in it, but we did cover half of the heated winter bucket with ply.

View attachment 2311510

This is what we use for grain, and the smaller bowl to the right is for oyster shells and eggshells.

View attachment 2311517

On the rare occasion they get locked in at night, we don't offer food or water, and they are fine until morning.
Do they try to swim in the water? I guess we just spoil our ducks at night lol also what breed is that? They look nearly identical to one of my mystery ducks
20200826_185724.jpg

Poultry nipples are fine for overnight drinking water if you take away their food, but they wont replace all water sources 24/7 because they need to be able to wash their nostrils out, especially if they have access to food.

Back
Top Bottom