Duck Disappeared

Lorielus

Songster
5 Years
Jul 9, 2017
Hi all,

One of our three ducks has disappeared and I was wondering about possible causes and evidence I could look for.

Last night, about 9:15pm (this is Scotland, so starting to get dark by then), I happened to look out the window and all three were happily splashing around in the pond. It couldn't have been more than 15 minutes later I went out to close up the coops (opposite side of the house) and there were only two ducks present, but they didn't seem agitated or panicked, just sitting on the grass next to the coop as is their habit prior to bed.

These are not quiet or shy ducks - they like to make themselves heard, and all the windows were open so if there had been any commotion we would have easily heard, plus the only predators we have around here are very occasional foxes and badgers (which we hardly ever see anyway). There's also no sign of feathers or anything that I can see to indicate any kind of struggle (though I've no idea what to expect).

Is it possible for a duck to drown in a pond? (The pond is really murky at the moment because I bought enzyme tablets to break up the sludge so I can't see the bottom). It doesn't have any vegetation, etc. so nothing they could get tangled in, but they do sometimes try and get on each other's backs (in spite of all being female). I really can't think of any other possibility other than that and predators (they're khaki campbells so can't fly at all).

It's driving me a bit crazy not knowing what could have happened, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Many thanks.

I’m sorry for your loss. But I can tell ya even though you don’t see foxes or badgers doesn’t mean they aren’t there lurking for a swift opportunity to snatch and run. What about flying predators KC would be small enough for an eagle or large hawk to carry off. Just tossing things out. Or could she have a hidden nest and she’s gone broody?

Hi all,

One of our three ducks has disappeared and I was wondering about possible causes and evidence I could look for.

Last night, about 9:15pm (this is Scotland, so starting to get dark by then), I happened to look out the window and all three were happily splashing around in the pond. It couldn't have been more than 15 minutes later I went out to close up the coops (opposite side of the house) and there were only two ducks present, but they didn't seem agitated or panicked, just sitting on the grass next to the coop as is their habit prior to bed.

These are not quiet or shy ducks - they like to make themselves heard, and all the windows were open so if there had been any commotion we would have easily heard, plus the only predators we have around here are very occasional foxes and badgers (which we hardly ever see anyway). There's also no sign of feathers or anything that I can see to indicate any kind of struggle (though I've no idea what to expect).

Is it possible for a duck to drown in a pond? (The pond is really murky at the moment because I bought enzyme tablets to break up the sludge so I can't see the bottom). It doesn't have any vegetation, etc. so nothing they could get tangled in, but they do sometimes try and get on each other's backs (in spite of all being female). I really can't think of any other possibility other than that and predators (they're khaki campbells so can't fly at all).

It's driving me a bit crazy not knowing what could have happened, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Many thanks.

I would think that cause of their death was most likely inflicted by a predator, but I do want to mention that ducks can drown in water by ingesting a bacteria known as Clostridium botulinum which is often found in ponds that contain decomposing matter or rotten animal carcasses, once ingested the bird's muscles will become paralyzed, unable to swim or get out of the pond, they drown.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate you taking the time - we do have kestrels around sometimes, but being khaki campbells I would have thought they'd be way too big for something like that.

The thing that confuses me if it was a predator is the lack of noise - I could understand a single duck disappearing near-silently if grabbed by the neck, but surely the other two would have been yelling and panicking?

The brooding thing I guess is the best I can hope for, but she's 3 and a bit now and has never done it before so I would guess that makes it less likely.

Last edited:
I would think that cause of their death was most likely inflicted by a predator, but I do want to mention that ducks can drown in water by ingesting a bacteria known as Clostridium botulinum which is often found in ponds that contain decomposing matter or rotten animal carcasses, once ingested the bird's muscles will become paralyzed, unable to swim or get out of the pond, they drown.

Thanks a lot - definitely not something I knew about. There will undoubtedly be some decomposing leaves, etc. in the pond - I'm going to undertake the morbid task this evening of going over all of the pond I can reach with a net to see if I can find her.

Would I be right in thinking though that the bacteria is unlikely to be fast acting enough to be bobbing and swimming happily (they were doing that thing I can only describe as flying along the surface of the pond) but then losing control and drowning in 15 or so minutes?

Back
Top Bottom