Duck diseases?

duckluck2

Hatching
Oct 11, 2016
Is it safe for my family having my 2 week old duckling inside I just feel he's too little to be wandering outside alone I treat him like a baby I make sure he's feed ,cozy ,bathed....etc but I've been reading online ducks contain many diseases ! Is that true are they contagious cause we always kiss him grab him sometimes even nap with him but if he carries diseases I have no other choice to put him outside! Help please!

Ducklings do not belong outside, unless there is a very cozy, safe, clean environment for them.

Sounds like a single duck, and to be outside alone would be doubly stressful.

Any creature, including you and me, can carry disease. At the same time, most people with intact immune systems are not going to get sick from having a house duck.

Keeping yourself and your duckling well cared for is the best way to avoid illness. The breeze can carry viruses, doorknobs and phones are famous for having all kinds of nasties on them.

If you are concerned about a duck's health, you can have a fecal sample tested to see if they carry anything worrisome, and then treat them if anything shows up.

I bought eleven Runner ducklings nearly seven years ago. We brooded them in a spare room in the house. I lived quite close to them. Never made me ill - in fact, having them improved my physical and mental health.

I still get quite close with my Runners, and the ducks we have adopted since then. Adopted ducks have been to the vet to check for problems before they become part of the flock.

Periodically I have fecal tests done to be sure they are all okay.

HELP! my baby duckling seems to be swelling up and his stomach is making weird sounds. Its almost two weeks old. I have 5 ducklings and he the youngest one and it is the only one with a different mother. I'm worried. What do I. I seperated it from the rest today.it doesnt show any signs thats its in pain.

HELP! my baby duckling seems to be swelling up and his stomach is making weird sounds. Its almost two weeks old. I have 5 ducklings and he the youngest one and it is the only one with a different mother. I'm worried. What do I. I seperated it from the rest today.it doesnt show any signs thats its in pain.

What and how do you feed them? In other words, how often, with water, any treats, grit?

What temperature is the brooder?

Do they roam around the house or yard?

What bedding to you use?

I give them baby duck feed that we Got from the pet shop. Well we have a little pen that we put them in during the day and at night they sleep inside.Well I change water every hour to two hours even through the night. The vet me anti-stress that I mix with their water. No treats, they eat a lot of grass during the day. I use a lamp at night to keep them warm.

I give them baby duck feed that we Got from the pet shop. Well we have a little pen that we put them in during the day and at night they sleep inside.Well I change water every hour to two hours even through the night. The vet me anti-stress that I mix with their water. No treats, they eat a lot of grass during the day. I use a lamp at night to keep them warm.
Get granite grit...They need that to break down their food.....Also clear water is best...I do not think they require the anti-stress anymore....Have water deep enough to keep their nostrils clear....Bath time will encourage the oil glade to function properly and keep them clean...Plus they love to bath...I fill my bathtub to where they can just touch the bottom..only short swims as they will tire after 10 minutes or so...

Cheers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom