Duck eating poop

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Redhotrb, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Redhotrb

Redhotrb In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2016
    Hi. My cayuga duck has just picked up a yukky habit of eating her dried poop. she is a pet duck so she is in the house diapered at night and outside in day. Recently she started making a
    be-line for her dried up poop when I put her out. She recently started laying. Is there a connection? Can I stop it some how? Something lacking in her diet? Anybody know anything about this? Thanks

2. CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Songster

Apr 25, 2016
    North Ms
    A duck has an inate behavior of sifting and filtering things in nature...it is what they were created to do, so stopping it would be futile...it would be like telling ya not to eat. Something ya could do to aid her in this desire, is to get a pan of some sort....old cake pan, dish pan or any sizeable shallow dish and put a mixture of sand and dirt in it with some water ...just like making mud pies, and set it down for her to bill thru...she will be a happy little camper if ya do that for her. Just be sure to provide her a separate water dish to rinse and make mucky...:)

Redhotrb and ronott1 like this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

What are you feeding her she could have a dietary def especially since she has just start to lay.

Redhotrb, onaharley and ronott1 like this.
  4. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Chickens will eat through cow poo looking for grains and etc. It w a common thing. Definitely check into the correct feed for laying ducks

Redhotrb likes this.
  5. Redhotrb

Redhotrb In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2016
    Thank you
    She gets peas, corn, beans, kale, lettuce, dry cat food, meal worms. And pretty much bits of whatever I'm making .

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

You don't provide any actual Duck feed?.....Oyster shell?...Ducks are foragers and livestock really ....

ronott1 likes this.
  7. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    Can you tell if she's actually eating it or just putting it in her mouth? My ducks will pick it up, but then fling it. Super gross.

Redhotrb, Miss Lydia and ronott1 like this.
  8. Redhotrb

Redhotrb In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2016
    She won't eat it. I offer it

9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

She would once she gets hungry enough....She is eating poop because she is lacking something....
    Try wetting feed and adding in Peas and things she does like to get her started....

Redhotrb likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: