Duck eating poop

Redhotrb

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2016
Hi. My cayuga duck has just picked up a yukky habit of eating her dried poop. she is a pet duck so she is in the house diapered at night and outside in day. Recently she started making a
be-line for her dried up poop when I put her out. She recently started laying. Is there a connection? Can I stop it some how? Something lacking in her diet? Anybody know anything about this? Thanks

A duck has an inate behavior of sifting and filtering things in nature...it is what they were created to do, so stopping it would be futile...it would be like telling ya not to eat. Something ya could do to aid her in this desire, is to get a pan of some sort....old cake pan, dish pan or any sizeable shallow dish and put a mixture of sand and dirt in it with some water ...just like making mud pies, and set it down for her to bill thru...she will be a happy little camper if ya do that for her. Just be sure to provide her a separate water dish to rinse and make mucky...:)

Chickens will eat through cow poo looking for grains and etc. It w a common thing. Definitely check into the correct feed for laying ducks

A duck has an inate behavior of sifting and filtering things in nature...it is what they were created to do, so stopping it would be futile...it would be like telling ya not to eat. Something ya could do to aid her in this desire, is to get a pan of some sort....old cake pan, dish pan or any sizeable shallow dish and put a mixture of sand and dirt in it with some water ...just like making mud pies, and set it down for her to bill thru...she will be a happy little camper if ya do that for her. Just be sure to provide her a separate water dish to rinse and make mucky...:)
Thank you
What are you feeding her she could have a dietary def especially since she has just start to lay.
She gets peas, corn, beans, kale, lettuce, dry cat food, meal worms. And pretty much bits of whatever I'm making .

Back
Top Bottom