Duck egg!

4ducksinapool

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2016
UPDATE So my KC is now sitting on the eggs. Also there are still more coming none today though. My Pekin has also been interested in the nest.

So I have four ducks. 2 male two female. 1 male and 1 female Khaki cambells. 1 male
Mallard and a female Pekin. My Pekin layed and egg today. My friend has a farm so I called and they said to get a nest box with bedding and put the egg in it. So that's what I did and I am watching her now. I'm hoping its fertal but I won't know for a little bit. I will try and keep y'all posted if you want.

Last edited:
Agreed, the egg won't just develop even if it is fertile. It also takes some time for drakes to get the hang of breeding so it might not even be fertile. Pekin, in general, are less likely to brood their eggs so the chances are she won't go broody. The KC is more likely to go broody. If she does and you want her to hatch some eggs you can always stick a few of the Pekin's eggs under her.

You'll also want to watch your ducks closely to make sure the drakes aren't over-breeding the hens. Drakes can cause serious harm and even kill hens while mating. The minimum recommended ratio is 3 hens per drake. The more drakes you have the higher you want to push that ratio.

Yes I know :) she sat on them last night and everyone is doing great. I didn't know genders when I got them either. But I also have a best friend who lives on a farm so I know a lot and if I don't I ask her :) thank you very much though <3

Back
Top Bottom