Duck Eggs Alive Veins Pipping

HeidiHii

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2021
Hi there everyone 😊

I'm completely new to caring for Duck Eggs!! - A Duck laid 14 in our garden and then a cat killed one and scared the mother away :( So I've decided to look after them. They have been in the incubator I bought for them roughly two days, and I've noticed a little crack on one. They must have been with the mum a little while but I can't be certain how long as it was a surprise to discover them in the overgrown grass at the end of the garden. This is the crack attached below. Also, I tried to shine a light underneath the eggs horizontally and they're sort of dark on one side and light on the other. I still don't quite understand how it works. Please need some advice as I real want to help them.

Lots of love and thank you xxx 💛

Attachments

• IMG_20210609_161831.jpg
    IMG_20210609_161831.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hi there everyone 😊

I'm completely new to caring for Duck Eggs!! - A Duck laid 14 in our garden and then a cat killed one and scared the mother away :( So I've decided to look after them. They have been in the incubator I bought for the for two days, and I've noticed a little crack on one. They must have been with the mum a little while but I can't be certain how long as it was a surprise to discover them in the overgrown grass at the end of the garden. This is the crack attached below. Also, I tried to shine a light underneath the eggs horizontally and they're sort of dark on one side and light on the other. I still don't quite understand how it works. Please need some advice as I real want to help them.

Lots of love and thank you xxx 💛
So are you sure the crack is a pip and not just from when the cat attacked the nest?

So are you sure the crack is a pip and not just from when the cat attacked the nest?
Hi there,

Thank you for your reply. I don't remember seeing it when I initially placed them into the incubator. But tonight I have noticed some veins when I put a torch near one of the eggs. So does this mean that it's alive. I read online something about an air sac but still have no idea.

I still haven't a clue how old they are. Any ideas on how we can work it out?

Also, none of the eggs smell. My grandma said if eggs smell then something isn't quite right.

Thanks again for the reply,

Xxx

That looks like a pip. You shouldn't mess with the eggs much now. You said you bought an incubator? If it has a turner, I'd put it off or remove it if you can. And get your humidity up to 65%+.
Thank you for your reply! I shall up the humidity 😊 I have been turning them every few hours as I am not sure how old they all are. Currently have been on 55-70 humidity, although it's hard keeping it steady. Seems maybe with the veins and half dark half light maybe like 18 days... 🤷🏼 What happens to the look of them under light from 18 onwards... Or are they much older than this do you think?

If it is pipping, its been a few days now though, should something have happened by now?

Take care,

Heidi

Last edited:
Oh I'm so so excited 🙈 although I must be realistic... I am trying my best to help them though, that's All I can do xx

I haven't even started on thinking what to do if they do hatch!
yes, better not count the ducks before they hatch😆

That said, you should probably think of what to do if they do!

I used to have a single duck when I was really young and didn’t know any better. it followed me around everywhere and share my bed and dinner too! 😂

yes, better not count the ducks before they hatch😆

That said, you should probably think of what to do if they do!

I used to have a single duck when I was really young and didn’t know any better. it followed me around everywhere and share my bed and dinner too! 😂
That joke made my day 😂 - You've definitely been waiting to use that one 😉

Yeah I have started looking online about what to do, and think today I shall write a maybe list 📝 any suggestions?

There's currently 11 eggs, so fingers crossed. They're fighters 💪🏻 😉

Xx

I went to TSC yesterday to get flock feed. I have one Pekin duck that will walk between my legs but doesn't want be held at all. There was a boy there that had his duck with him sleeping in his arms. He was beautiful 😍 I was really impressed by that relationship they had. Be careful. You may end up with 14 ducklings sleeping in your arms...😁

Back
Top Bottom