Duck eggs day 23 - What should we see when candling?

TattooQ27

Songster
Apr 10, 2009
Upstate NY - Albany area
I know in the beginning we are supposed to look for veining and movement. Should we see veining and movement up until they hatch or does what you see change over time? Also, if we have a suspected quitter and decide to pull it, when we open the egg if the duckling wasn't actually a quitter will we know it? We opened one yesterday that we had been watching (no veining or movement for 24 hours but also no blood ring) and the duckling looked perfect so we weren't sure if opening the egg is what killed it or if it would have been moving when we opened it and then died. We did notice some green stringy stuff that looked like it could be poop(?)...is that normal or is that a bacteria of sorts and a likely cause of death?

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by no veining for 24 hours. Are you candling every day? It had veins then you couldn't see them? I sure wouldn't open an egg after one candling that didn't have motion. But on the other hand, if it had been alive, it would have still been moving when you opened it. Embryos sleep and have quiet time inside the shell, sometimes you won't see them move. This late in the game, I'm not sure about the formation of the blood ring.

hello tatoo. your at day 23. you should be able to see some of them moving. mine hatched at day 25. unless they smell leave them alone. lock down at day 25 give them a mist of warm water over the eggs and wait for the hatch. good luck mine are doing great. they love there daily swims. about 12 mins and they get realy tired. so i get them out. i could see all seven moving, the other three that didnt hatch two were quiters, one didnt develope at all. they did hatch withing 24 hrs of each other. when i did candle i would mist them with warm water.

Last edited:
Hi! I just candled some Day 21 duck eggs and the eggs were about 3/4 full of embryo / dark.

A tip for opening eggs (if you just *have to check*) is to gently open the shell at the big end (candle and make sure you are opening into the air cell) --- I use a small sharp screw and make a hole. Gently break away enough shell so you can shine a light inside.
If you have a live chick/duckling, just cover the hole with a piece of clear tape and resume incubating.
It's not the best thing to do, but will save accidently killing a live chick if you just gotta know.
Good luck with the rest of the 'Lings! I have duck eggs on Day 7, Day 14, and Day 21 and setting more today!
smile.png

Lisa

hello i have a duck egg i believe its on day 21.. i did some candling last week and seen lots of movement,, i try candling it today and yesterday and didn't see any move meant. i see the air pocket and veins and one side of the egg has a black spot

hello i have a duck egg i believe its on day 21.. i did some candling last week and seen lots of movement,, i try candling it today and yesterday and didn't see any move meant. i see the air pocket and veins and one side of the egg has a black spot
Well I was have this same thing going on now with my duck eggs. But mine are under a sitting duck. I was looking for answers

Back
Top Bottom