Duck Eggs day 29

So yeah, somehow I killed six ducklings in the shell. I need a new incubator. I'm going to post some pics if you all can help me figure what went wrong. Only two had internally pipped and then died. The other four didn't internally pipped. Now I have a dang single duckling.

20171128_095933.jpg
20171128_100328_Burst01.jpg
20171128_100341.jpg
20171128_100507.jpg

What do you mean? I don't know much about ducks. I only have four adults I got half grown and they are pekins and khaki Campbell.

I am positive those are Call ducks, a bantam duck that is notoriously difficult to hatch... they need different incubation practices than other ducks...

Where did your eggs come from?

I am positive those are Call ducks, a bantam duck that is notoriously difficult to hatch... they need different incubation practices than other ducks...

Where did your eggs come from?
A lady on craigslist. She was Chinese and I don't think we were communicating well. This is kind of funny. I got tired of waiting for my ducks to lay eggs, so thought I'd hatch some to grow for meat. I've not even held a duck egg before, so they looked bigger than my chicken eggs and I figured they'd be fine. Guess I can't put a little bantam duck in the freezer. This is what I get for being impatient. Lol. I only paid $6 for a dozen eggs and 7 developed, so I can't complain too much. It is a cute duck. Can I put a call duck in with my bigger ducks when it grows? I keep my bantam chickens separated, but didn't know if it's the same with ducks. I do have a pekin drake.

A lady on craigslist. She was Chinese and I don't think we were communicating well. This is kind of funny. I got tired of waiting for my ducks to lay eggs, so thought I'd hatch some to grow for meat. I've not even held a duck egg before, so they looked bigger than my chicken eggs and I figured they'd be fine. Guess I can't put a little bantam duck in the freezer. This is what I get for being impatient. Lol. I only paid $6 for a dozen eggs and 7 developed, so I can't complain too much. It is a cute duck. Can I put a call duck in with my bigger ducks when it grows? I keep my bantam chickens separated, but didn't know if it's the same with ducks. I do have a pekin drake.

Oh, wow... I am so sorry!

If it's female, no, I wouldn't put it in with a Pekin drake... if it's a drake, it *might* be ok... but they're pretty small, even pet quality ones, at least compared to those breeds...

You could keep it in with standard sized chickens once it gets bigger, maybe even bantams, depending... there is a possibility it is a mixed type, but from the pics, egg sizes, timing with low temps and the issues, I am fairly certain you got Calls...

@WVduckchick @Pyxis @DwayneNLiz @shawluvsbirds what do y'all think?

I tagged to see if they think same about them being Calls, btw...

Oh, also, if it really is a Call, they imprint super easy and very deep... especially a singleton...

Oh, wow... I am so sorry!

If it's female, no, I wouldn't put it in with a Pekin drake... if it's a drake, it *might* be ok... but they're pretty small, even pet quality ones, at least compared to those breeds...

You could keep it in with standard sized chickens once it gets bigger, maybe even bantams, depending... there is a possibility it is a mixed type, but from the pics, egg sizes, timing with low temps and the issues, I am fairly certain you got Calls...

@WVduckchick @Pyxis @DwayneNLiz @shawluvsbirds what do y'all think?

Sure looks like Call eggs to me too! Although day 29 would really be super late for Calls, so that makes me wonder. Maybe we will know more when it fluffs up.

@Mylied Super cute little booger!! :love

Sure looks like Call eggs to me too! Although day 29 would really be super late for Calls, so that makes me wonder. Maybe we will know more when it fluffs up.

@Mylied Super cute little booger!! :love

Low temps though... usually in standard sized ducks low temps have them hatch much later... :confused:

Back
Top Bottom