Duck eggs pip too early. Help?

ChickenJesus

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2015
Conowingo MD
I've attempted hatching duck eggs twice in the last few months. Both times I've started the duck eggs, 7 days later, add chicken eggs to the incubator. The ducks pip at day 24 or 25 and need help getting out of the shell. I've monitored temp and humidity and are spot on. Chickens hatch on day 21 as expected. Something goofy with my duck eggs. Anybody have an idea as to what may be happening?

Honestly don't know. No older than 5, no younger than a few hours. Dont know if the older ones are the ones that pip early. I guess it would make sense. Stored at ~60 degrees prior to being put in incubator. Chicken eggs are collected ad stored identically.

Temp is 99.5. Humidity is spot on too. I don't think it is incubation or storage, or the chicken would be off too. I don't have a lot of experience with ducks, I didn't think about differences in breeds. They are Peking by the way. I've hatched maybe 10 breeds of chicks and haven't seen any variations. Didn't think about if ducks would.

What temp do you think the duck eggs should be at? I've hatched thousands of chicks and only did a quick search for duck info. What little I read said 99.5. I'm happy to admit that I could be wrong!

Back
Top Bottom