Duck eggs smell like wet dog?

TheBirdBabe

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2013
Hey y'all! 👋🏻

I have a very weird question. The other day I observed a strong smell as I was collecting eggs. Usually my dogs are with me (typically I blame them), but this morning they weren't. I smelled the strong smell of wet dog. Upon further investigation.. it was my duck eggs!

I know that ducks are nasty & they smell different from chickens.. but I've never had an egg have a "smell" to it. Especially uncracked. They do lay in the grass, but some eggs smell & others don't! For example, my blue/green ones are the ones that smell. Some of said eggs smell stronger than others. 🤔

Does anyone have any ideas?

Duck eggs if collected while still damp from being laid do have a slightly musty smell that is different from the smell of an egg that has gone bad. Typically I do not notice it with eggs that have fully dried after being laid unless I put my nose practically on the egg. The freshly laid eggs definitely do have a smell. My ability to smell everything and anything never went away after being pregnant so I smell things that people don't often notice or smell things way before they do.

That is both a blessing and a curse!
It is definitely both, but most of the time a curse😂 However, it did save my kids and I from food poisoning when visiting my parents last time. They tried to convince me that the meat they just pulled out of the freezer was fine, but it smelled rotten to me. Everyone else smelled it and didn't smell anything wrong with it. I told them to enjoy their dinner while I took my kids out to eat in town. By the time we got back everyone was looking a little green in the gills and by 9pm everyone was hugging a toilet vomiting. Well that is everyone except my kids and I.

Back
Top Bottom