Duck Emergency Please Help

solanab

Hatching
Sep 24, 2020
Hi, my 6 month old white rested duck has started to lose his balance, he has water colored diarrhea, and his backside seems big and inflated. Hes drinking and eating, theres nothing in his feet and I have no idea what to do.

Hi, there. Welcome to BYC! So sorry to hear about your duck, could you provide us with some information?

Could you post a video of the duck, or post a few pictures of him? To post a video you'll need to upload it to a video platform like Yotube or Vimeo, then copy/paste the link here. Could we also see a few pictures of his poop? Could you post a picture of his backside? Where exactly is inflated?

How long has he been acting like this? Has he had any problems in the past? What is he being fed? Is he housed with any other drakes, I ask because crested birds have vaulted skulls and are often subject to neurological damage, so one good peck on the head could easily turn into some of the problems you're seeing now.

My suggestion as of now would be to bring him inside and set him in an area that's quiet, dimly lit, and warm, with feed and water provided in a shallow dish to prevent aspiration.

Hes been acting like this for 72 hours. He is 6 months old, he hasnt ever had problem. We only have two, their both white crested. We brought him inside and did those things, he is pooping out maggots and shaking them off. We change their food/water daily. We feed them different veggies like carrots and peas. They also eat duck seed. His poop currently is light green diarrhea. his back/butt seem inflated. Im attaching a couple pictures. One is of what we think is the private area?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 7
Hi, there. Welcome to BYC! So sorry to hear about your duck, could you provide us with some information?

Could you post a video of the duck, or post a few pictures of him? To post a video you'll need to upload it to a video platform like Yotube or Vimeo, then copy/paste the link here. Could we also see a few pictures of his poop? Could you post a picture of his backside? Where exactly is inflated?

How long has he been acting like this? Has he had any problems in the past? What is he being fed? Is he housed with any other drakes, I ask because crested birds have vaulted skulls and are often subject to neurological damage, so one good peck on the head could easily turn into some of the problems you're seeing now.

My suggestion as of now would be to bring him inside and set him in an area that's quiet, dimly lit, and warm, with feed and water provided in a shallow dish to prevent aspiration.

Hi i just replied with everything

Poor guy.

His vent look to be infected pretty bad, and that's most likely where the maggots are coming from. Could you soak his rear end in highly concentrated Epsom salt water for a few minutes, using a towel to try and get some of the gunk off his vent? After you've completed that, I'd suggest on applying a SWAT gel to his vent area, or spraying on a permethrin spray to kill those maggots.

Bright green poop is likely telling us, he's not eating/drinking as much as he should be, and likely has an infection of some sort. That said, I would work on getting him hydrated, then starting him on antibiotics as soon as possible. For hydration, it'd be ideal if you get a large 60ml syringe, and an enema, or red rubber catheter tube, and tube warm fluids down directly into his crop. If you can't get the supplies from that, I would try dripping Gatorade or Pedialyte down the side of his bill via a syringe or eyedropper.

I'd really then work on getting an antibiotic, and starting him on one. Do you have any on hand? If not, could you order this one?

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Poor guy.

His vent look to be infected pretty bad, and that's most likely where the maggots are coming from. Could you soak his rear end in highly concentrated Epsom salt water for a few minutes, using a towel to try and get some of the gunk off his vent? After you've completed that, I'd suggest on applying a SWAT gel to his vent area, or spraying on a permethrin spray to kill those maggots.

Bright green poop is likely telling us, he's not eating/drinking as much as he should be, and likely has an infection of some sort. That said, I would work on getting him hydrated, then starting him on antibiotics as soon as possible. For hydration, it'd be ideal if you get a large 60ml syringe, and an enema, or red rubber catheter tube, and tube warm fluids down directly into his crop. If you can't get the supplies from that, I would try dripping Gatorade or Pedialyte down the side of his bill via a syringe or eyedropper.

I'd really then work on getting an antibiotic, and starting him on one. Do you have any on hand? If not, could you order this one?

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Ok i can get the stuff you posted and look for the other stuff. We have some amoxicillin and started pedialyte last night and he’s been drinking it luckily. We are also afraid he might be a she and there’s an egg broken or something. This is our first ever duck. Thank you so much for helping

Back
Top Bottom