Duck experts needed...

Yes, I believe it is from rubbing...90 % of the time he is on his belly and for a few days he only scooted...so I think it's from friction.He does get tub baths at least a few times a week but I cannot do it daily right now due to life lol

@casportpony Yes, the scab area / hock joint is still big...but as I said...when you take the scab off it looks like healthy tissue....maybe it is slipped?

Yes, I believe it is from rubbing...90 % of the time he is on his belly and for a few days he only scooted...so I think it's from friction.He does get tub baths at least a few times a week but I cannot do it daily right now due to life lol 

@casportpony
 Yes, the scab area / hock joint is still big...but as I said...when you take the scab off it looks like healthy tissue....maybe it is slipped? 

Doesn't look slipped to me... Does the joint have full range of motion?

-Kathy

I'll have to double check later...his ankle was starting to atrophy...but still has movement.

Range of motion is key... Flex and extend the good leg, then compare the bad leg. I suspect that the range of motion in the bad leg is quite reduced. An example... I've had arthritis in my right knee for since my teens, and when I flex my left leg my heel will actually touch my butt, but my right heel only comes within 10" of my butt. Does that help with a visual?

-Kathy

So his foot joint has about 90 % mobility...his hock has good range bending forward towards his belly ( probably 90 % ) but going back towards his tail is about 85 %? Maybe 75%....BUT he is getting around better. His leg was slightly warmer but could be weather related since we are at almost 50 today...So I think I wanna do another round of antibiotics...thinking Peng to be sure there is no active infection. I'd like to do IM or SQ injections as I think it's more effective that way.

Thoughts?

@casportpony @amiga

So his foot joint has about 90 % mobility...his hock has good range bending forward towards his belly ( probably 90 % ) but going back towards his tail is about 85 %? Maybe 75%....BUT he is getting around better. His leg was slightly warmer but could be weather related since we are at almost 50 today...So I think I wanna do another round of antibiotics...thinking Peng to be sure there is no active infection. I'd like to do IM or SQ injections as I think it's more effective that way.

Thoughts?

@casportpony @amiga
All of the info I have says to give it in the breast muscle... never seen a reference for giving it under the skin.
Here is some info:
LL

Picture below is from this site: http://smartools.pharmdev.org/iu.html

-Kathy

Thanks...yes, I would do IM...too many goats around here so I'm always talking in their terms lol...I try to do as many as possible of their shots SQ .
tongue.png

I'll start that tomorrow and reassess after 3 days....I'll try to update with a video too!

Great report, thanks!

Joint and tendon issues from what I have seen and read can take a while to completely resolve. I can see why you'd want to be sure to knock out infection - that can really turn into long term grief otherwise.

I wonder if some additional help with T-Relief topical might help. I use it on myself and my ducks for muscle, tendon and joint stiffness.

I use the ointment. You could also make your own comfrey salve with arnica and St. John's wort if you do that kind of thing. Topical, not oral is what I give the duckies sometimes.

http://t-relief.com/

(I don't make money from it, don't sell it, just use it)

Back
Top Bottom