Duck experts needed...

ETA: I will be adding calf manna to his feed hoping for weight gain
Here is a video taken tonight...and some pics. The hock joint seems so swollen still...seems to go up his leg towards his behind for about an inch...hard to explain but it seems he may?? still have gunk inside his leg? As I said...under the scab it looks good...so thinking it must be up higher? Look how much bigger it is than the other side!

Here is the video
0.jpg

0.jpg
Wow, that looks pretty bad.
sad.png

-Kathy

Wow, that looks pretty bad.
sad.png

-Kathy

Agreed! One of my runners (Dove) had a bad sprain where the same area was swollen to about double size and warm to the touch and I took her into the vet and got her an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory shot and she turned out OK. I only mention this because I know when I took her in, it was pretty bad and she hurt pretty bad, but she still walked upright with a bad limp, and didn't need her wings to stabilize/support her so I know ducks are pretty tough. So the one in the video is either in a lot of pain or has suffered from severe muscle atrophy or some of both.

I have anti inflammatory here...and he is on pen g.This can't be a sprain...or else it would have been resolved by now I would think? This limp has been going on for some time...just got worse in the last few weeks.It is not warm or hot to the touch....some days he walks better than others. The videos are the worst...at best he is limping as described in the previous post.

From what they said...he has always had a rough go...in the beginning they didn't think he'd make it. Then he did but has always "walked funny" (their words)...I am not sure how long he had the scab....but he used to be able to get himself out of the pool but not in...then he progressed to not being able to do either.

As for atrophy, yes he has some...in a previous post I explained his ROM....not sure what they are going to want to do with him. I'm not giving up just yet. Going to keep on with the drawing salve, and pen g for three more days along with b complex and calf manna.

Oh I have dexamethasone...it is an anti-inflammatory. Anyone know the dosage by chance for a duck?

NM...found it. 1-2 mg per kg IV and 2-4 IM -not for more than 48 hours. I'll have to look on the bottle and do the math...then decide if I wanna try it. If I do and it helps...we'll know the swelling is an issue..

Last edited:
So here is my decision after evaluating him really well again tonight. The hock joint is just plain deformed and huge from whatever happened and his entire leg turns slightly inward from the hip..he has no puss left in his leg....it's not hot/warm.The area I have put the salve on has dried up nicely. Splinting does not help whether we do a short or long splint, soft or harder. His good leg has a weak ankle and that buckles too.I do feel like since he is a "house" pet, it has been detrimental to his will and ability to try to walk. He looks at me almost as if I should just move him and waits for it. This is one of the reasons I don't agree with house ducks....it's not normal for them :( His appetite has not increased at all :( The treatments would have helped some by now if they were going to. I hate to give up, but it's time :( I have helped a lot of injured animals...this guy is just too far gone.

I have informed the owner that I think it is time to cull him. His quality of life is terrible. He sits in one spot all day unless I make him move. Really sucks because he's a nice duck.Thanks to all who commented.

Okay I have a problem with my ducks. I have a mallard hen, blue runners, pekings, and other various breeds. Most all of my females are laying eggs. They are cooped up at night to stay away from predators so that is where they are laying them. I have been checking the nest daily and so far they have laid 4 directly in the nest they made and sprouted some other ones around in random places. Yesterday evening I took some fresh hay and just spread it around close to the nest. This morning when I went to check for eggs they have taken one out of the nest and laid two more beside it where they drug the other one out. Is this because they don't want the nest anymore since I laid fresh hay in there? Any advice would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom