Duck Eye Bloody now after 2 uses Terramycin for bubbly eye !!

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
Help! I've been watching her eye on and off all day, it looked whitish today, I had applied terramycin 2 times so far ( last night and this morning) because she had some white bubbles in it and was squinting a lot. Now I stopped the terramycin and put her in with the other ducks so shes not stressed and also put a clean bucket of water in with them in case she wants to dunk her head, of course the other ducks will all make a big mess overnight but I dont know what else to do.
She had the ame eye problem last month and I used saline and then vetericyn eye gel in it and it seemd to get all better after 2 days (4 treatments) but now that the problem came back I started with the vetericyn a couple days ago and then switched to the terramycin ointment after I found it at tractor supply. I thought maybe she needed something stronger to clear up the problem but now this is so sad any advice please ?

Attachments

• IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 7
I wanted to add that I was afraid to use the terramycin tonight,, because maybe it caused the bleeding? should I still apply it anyway? I wonder if the blood was part of the healing process?

I stopped flushing and just used the terramycin last night and this morning, but before that I was still flushing and using veterimicyn for a day and a half (3 times)
Yes I do have a vet that I have taken a couple of my ducks to in the past. He is expensive so I try to take care of anything that I can do by myself first, but yes since you are suggesting it I will call him in the morning, thanks. 🙏

I stopped flushing and just used the terramycin last night and this morning, but before that I was still flushing and using veterimicyn for a day and a half (3 times)
Yes I do have a vet that I have taken a couple of my ducks to in the past. He is expensive so I try to take care of anything that I can do by myself first, but yes since you are suggesting it I will call him in the morning, thanks. 🙏
How is your duck doing? Any update?

Thanks for asking
Im getting ready to take her back to the vet today
She has been on 2 kinds of eyedrops the vet gave her, for the last 2 weeks, 2x a day. One is an antibiotic and the other is for pain relief.
My vet said the bloody eye was from Trauma, not from the ointments I was using. And it looks like the lens of her eye popped out from the back and turned into a white blob covering half her eye. Or something like that.
But over the 2 weeks of eyedrops and keeping her separated (not entirely, I put her twin sister in with her for company)
The eye has turned from half-white blob to a cloudy/hazy gray eye, so it looks to me like she went blind in that eye. ? The pictures show the progression from bloody to cloudy, a time period of 2 weeks, and the last picture is her other (normal) eye for comparison.
We will see what Dr Anthony says today 🙏 I pray he does not say surgery but if he does I also pray the Lord will provide , It will be a miracle <3

Attachments

• IMG_1190.PNG
    IMG_1190.PNG
    870.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1191.PNG
    IMG_1191.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1269.jpg
    IMG_1269.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Yay vet said she is not in pain and no surgery needed (at this time anyway) but she is blind in that eye now, and I have to keep giving her flurbiprophen eye drops (to reduce swelling like ibuprophen does for us) and I have to watch her eye to see if she ever develops glaucoma, then he would need to see her again. He said the lens has settled into the corner/back of the eye and turned black. So yeah no lens=no vision. She is allowed back into the flock but since today was a big day (trip to vet) Im going to reintroduce her tomorrow :) Praise the Lord

I’m so glad your duck is feeling better!! 💕 I’m sure it was so scary going though that. Her eye looked horrible! 😳

Back
Top Bottom