Duck Feed Dilemma

gingerviolinist

Chirping
Jun 5, 2017
I am looking for alternative feed suggestions. I have ducks aged 10 weeks, 18 weeks, and 20 weeks old. Finishing our current bag of Mazuri Waterfowl maintenance pellets, but it is so expensive to buy directly from the producer. ($42+$20ship+$6tax=$68/50lb. bag). Is it too early for the little ones to switch to layer pellets? Don't want to disadvantage the older or the youger. Also having trouble getting them to eat their food and not the garden. What are your favorites? Currently researching Purina, DuMOR, Nature's Best Organic, and Nutrena - all available at Tractor's Supply.

I bet you could get Purina Flock Raiser at your Tractor Supply - it's a feed that works for all ages and you never have to switch to another feed - instead of switching to layer feed, you can offer oyster shell free choice for those that are laying.

I am looking for alternative feed suggestions. I have ducks aged 10 weeks, 18 weeks, and 20 weeks old. Finishing our current bag of Mazuri Waterfowl maintenance pellets, but it is so expensive to buy directly from the producer. ($42+$20ship+$6tax=$68/50lb. bag). Is it too early for the little ones to switch to layer pellets? Don't want to disadvantage the older or the youger. Also having trouble getting them to eat their food and not the garden. What are your favorites? Currently researching Purina, DuMOR, Nature's Best Organic, and Nutrena - all available at Tractor's Supply.
What area are you in? http://fertrell.com/locator/ You can put your zipcode in at the link and find dealers near you. Make sure you call them and ask them if they make or sell a duck feed in 50# bags as some of them are lawn guys and some work in one ton lots.

Edited to add: A turkey grower will get you there too. How many 10 week olds do you have?

I bet you could get Purina Flock Raiser at your Tractor Supply - it's a feed that works for all ages and you never have to switch to another feed - instead of switching to layer feed, you can offer oyster shell free choice for those that are laying.
@Pyxis Thanks for the reply! Is Flock Raiser in crumble form only? Would prefer pellet form. Would switching to layer feed harm the 10 week olds?

@Pyxis Thanks for the reply! Is Flock Raiser in crumble form only? Would prefer pellet form. Would switching to layer feed harm the 10 week olds?

It is only crumble, yes. Yes, putting ducklings on layer feed is very harmful. The extra calcium they don't need causes kidney damage/failure and can kill them. It can also cause a host of other issues too.

Got it - NO layer feed! I do like the idea of Purina flock raiser, just wish crumble wasn't so messy. Any harm in keeping them all on unmedicated starter/grower pellets?

TSC sells a grower pellet that's about 20% protein, which is light for the 10 week olds--but you can supplement with cheap canned salmon or tuna in oil, Salmon is better--but you want to limit it to no more than 5% of their diet. I say "cheap" Salmon because believe it or not it has a stronger vitamin supply than sockeye or the expensive stuff.

What area are you in? http://fertrell.com/locator/ You can put your zipcode in at the link and find dealers near you. Make sure you call them and ask them if they make or sell a duck feed in 50# bags as some of them are lawn guys and some work in one ton lots.

Edited to add: A turkey grower will get you there too. How many 10 week olds do you have?
I'm in the Kansas City area. Looks like the closest is too far out for me right now. Any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom