Duck feed

Makennapatt26

Chirping
Mar 27, 2020
Sellersville Pennsylvania
Hi everyone. I am unsure what to feed my ducks. I have looked into the Purina duck pellets, which seem like a good option. I have two 5 week old khaki Campbell’s and one 7 week old Pekin. I am unsure of their sex, as they still haven’t really developed a “quack” 😂 my Pekin is still whistling! Anyways, do i have to move them onto a layer feed and supplement with oyster shell? Or put them on the Purina until a certain age and then move them on to the later feed. Also, is it okay if a drake (if i have one) eats the layer feed? And also, if i put the ducks on a layer feed, do i have to take them off of it in the winter? I have seriously been trying to do some major research but unfortunately i can not find a simple answer! It would be helpful if you just told me what you do with your ducks! Bless y’all

I feed my ducklings nutrena chick starter unmedacated. I just supplement the niacin they need by sprinkling yeast in their food twice a week. You can feed them duck pellets no prob. An all flock would work as well. As for layer feed ducks don't really need it. They do not have the same calcium requirements laying chickens do. I feed my adult ducks all flock with layer pellets mixed in sometimes. But like with the chickens I dont add the layer feed until about 16 weeks. Too much calcium when young can cause kidney issues. Enjoy your quackers.

I feed my ducklings nutrena chick starter unmedacated. I just supplement the niacin they need by sprinkling yeast in their food twice a week. You can feed them duck pellets no prob. An all flock would work as well. As for layer feed ducks don't really need it. They do not have the same calcium requirements laying chickens do. I feed my adult ducks all flock with layer pellets mixed in sometimes. But like with the chickens I dont add the layer feed until about 16 weeks. Too much calcium when young can cause kidney issues. Enjoy your quackers.

I handn’t realised this! I’ve been feed mine layers and a grain mix. Do you think we should knock the layers pellets on the head then?

If you feed the ducks with Purina duck pellets they have everything a duck needs from hatch through life. All ducks, both male and female. The only thing you have to provide is oyster shells for the girls in a separate bowl once they start laying. They will eat it when they need it.

I always sprinkle nutritional yeast on top of their food bucket when I refill it every couple of days just because its good for them and can't hurt. Since you've got pekin I'd pick up a bottle of B-complex too and give a little boost to that one for the leg issues it most likely will get.

Hi everyone. I am unsure what to feed my ducks. I have looked into the Purina duck pellets, which seem like a good option. I have two 5 week old khaki Campbell’s and one 7 week old Pekin. I am unsure of their sex, as they still haven’t really developed a “quack” 😂 my Pekin is still whistling! Anyways, do i have to move them onto a layer feed and supplement with oyster shell? Or put them on the Purina until a certain age and then move them on to the later feed. Also, is it okay if a drake (if i have one) eats the layer feed? And also, if i put the ducks on a layer feed, do i have to take them off of it in the winter? I have seriously been trying to do some major research but unfortunately i can not find a simple answer! It would be helpful if you just told me what you do with your ducks! Bless y’all

Keep them either on a Duck feed, Purina Rasier Feed, or an All Flock Feed, and provide oyster shells on the side when they are of laying age. Layer Feed has too much calcium for males and little Niacin for ducks which will contribute to leg problems in the future, adding a supplemental niacin source like brewers yeast, nutritional yeast, a poultry vitamin or B complex is never a bad idea either, especially if you have a heavy weight breed, they often develop leg problems due to their heavyweight and fast growth.

Keep them either on a Duck feed, Purina Rasier Feed, or an All Flock Feed, and provide oyster shells on the side when they are of laying age. Layer Feed has too much calcium for males and little Niacin for ducks which will contribute to leg problems in the future, adding a supplemental niacin source like brewers yeast, nutritional yeast, a poultry vitamin or B complex is never a bad idea either, especially if you have a heavy weight breed, they often develop leg problems due to their heavyweight and fast growth.
Thank you so much! Where do i buy the B complex? I looked it up online and they come in pill capsules. Should i buy them and put what’s inside of the capsule in their feed every day?

If you feed the ducks with Purina duck pellets they have everything a duck needs from hatch through life. All ducks, both male and female. The only thing you have to provide is oyster shells for the girls in a separate bowl once they start laying. They will eat it when they need it.

I always sprinkle nutritional yeast on top of their food bucket when I refill it every couple of days just because its good for them and can't hurt. Since you've got pekin I'd pick up a bottle of B-complex too and give a little boost to that one for the leg issues it most likely will get.
Thank you so much for your help!

Thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom