Duck Fever-I Knew This Was Contagious LOL

Dolly1218

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012
Colorado
Well I suppose that settles it. I definetly have duck fever.
wee.gif
I am constantly secretly hoping the next time I go to the feed store they have little ducklings or even grown ducks needing a new forever home, and I will have to just get a couple more.. LOL. I keep "forgetting" to buy something from a feed store just to go back and check. I heard having ducks was like potato chips, you cant have just one, or in my case three! But everyone says that about every animal, right? So I thought, as I ordered my 3 girls, oh thats nonsense I will NOT want more than 3, 3 is plenty!
lau.gif
I of course love my little ladys dearly but maybe I need to make my flock even, because 3 is a very odd number, who keeps just 3 ducks?! Especially when city law says 10 poultry birds in a home.
idunno.gif

Share your duck fever stories, I would love to hear them!! Is anyone else secretly hoping they run into ducklings/ducks at the feed store?

Well.. Hubby says to me tonight.. "You have WAY too many animals." So I took my temperature. Turns out, I have a fever. A very High Fever. LOL.

(headed to Orschlens tmw... )

Well I suppose that settles it. I definetly have duck fever.
wee.gif
I am constantly secretly hoping the next time I go to the feed store they have little ducklings or even grown ducks needing a new forever home, and I will have to just get a couple more.. LOL. I keep "forgetting" to buy something from a feed store just to go back and check. I heard having ducks was like potato chips, you cant have just one, or in my case three! But everyone says that about every animal, right? So I thought, as I ordered my 3 girls, oh thats nonsense I will NOT want more than 3, 3 is plenty!
lau.gif
I of course love my little ladys dearly but maybe I need to make my flock even, because 3 is a very odd number, who keeps just 3 ducks?! Especially when city law says 10 poultry birds in a home.
idunno.gif

Share your duck fever stories, I would love to hear them!! Is anyone else secretly hoping they run into ducklings/ducks at the feed store?

There is surely no cure in sight.

Orschlens is like a Tractor Supply with a little more of everything.

I'm so glad I stocked up on feed since Del's gets their ducklings in on the 8th. Of course, then I ran out of stall dry today. Must go back in before those ducklings arrive...

Trying so hard to stay away.

We have another feedstore a couple towns over. It's kind of a puppy mill. Thought I was getting a great deal last spring: 7 ducklings for the price of three. Then they told me one was completely lame. Knowing what would happen to duckie if I didn't take it, I took it. Two of the others died right away. Low Rider (special needs duckling) lived 3 wonderful weeks with us before she passed on. Poor thing was not only lame, but she never grew at all.

Since then I've not bought a critter of any type from a feedstore. Trying to keep that streak going even though Del's ducklings were much better cared for.

Well, the first time I got ducks was 2 years ago, picked up 2 straight run Cayugas from my favorite feed store. They were a pair! Louie and Thelma. Then I hatched some call ducklings, and added them. My then-landlady had a conniption fit after a while, so I rehomed the calls. (For some reason, she didn't like ducks.) Then a predator killed Thelma whilst she was broody on her nest under the land-lady's relative's "stored" car in the front yard. Louie was a widower, in a flock of 50+ chickens.

I needed a wife for him. I picked up four straight run Cayuga ducklings. Lost one during the brooding stage in the house (my fault) and hid the 3 ducklings in a grow out pen on the far side of the backyard yard after they were old enough to go outside. This was a year ago. They were ALL MALE.

And I started looking for a house to buy with some property - and found one in April, escrow closed in May, it took two more months to get the well pump situation handled so there was running water for my new home. Almost two-thirds of an acre. I moved my flock at the end of July 2011.

So, in August, I ordered six sexed Cayuga ducklings from Metzer Farms. Two were taken by predators when they got out of their pen during the night and wandered the property. So that leaves me with four drakes and four ducks. Not a great ratio... but they're working it out. I also added two call ducks and a pair of Toulouse geese. We won't even go into how my chicken population has changed.

But, yes.... ducks are incredibly addictive! My Cayuga girls are starting to lay now....

I'm so glad I stocked up on feed since Del's gets their ducklings in on the 8th. Of course, then I ran out of stall dry today. Must go back in before those ducklings arrive...

Trying so hard to stay away.

We have another feedstore a couple towns over. It's kind of a puppy mill. Thought I was getting a great deal last spring: 7 ducklings for the price of three. Then they told me one was completely lame. Knowing what would happen to duckie if I didn't take it, I took it. Two of the others died right away. Low Rider (special needs duckling) lived 3 wonderful weeks with us before she passed on. Poor thing was not only lame, but she never grew at all.

Since then I've not bought a critter of any type from a feedstore. Trying to keep that streak going even though Del's ducklings were much better cared for.

That is so sad, I am so very sorry. I have a fear my little Monica isnt going to make it. Her siblings are growing like weeds but she hasnt changed one bit. I hope she is just a late bloomer and pulls through okay. I think it might have been the stress of shipping of only the 3 and they took so long to get here after they hatched. They all seemed to have some sort of problem, but so far everyone is alright. I check on them every 5mins, I work at home right now so that is a plus. Because of all this, Im worried about shipping any more ducklings.... On a lighter note, I have to get my girls some lower protien feed at a very nice feedstore outside of town... Maybe I will find a few siblings for my little ladys :)

Well, the first time I got ducks was 2 years ago, picked up 2 straight run Cayugas from my favorite feed store. They were a pair! Louie and Thelma. Then I hatched some call ducklings, and added them. My then-landlady had a conniption fit after a while, so I rehomed the calls. (For some reason, she didn't like ducks.) Then a predator killed Thelma whilst she was broody on her nest under the land-lady's relative's "stored" car in the front yard. Louie was a widower, in a flock of 50+ chickens.

I needed a wife for him. I picked up four straight run Cayuga ducklings. Lost one during the brooding stage in the house (my fault) and hid the 3 ducklings in a grow out pen on the far side of the backyard yard after they were old enough to go outside. This was a year ago. They were ALL MALE.

And I started looking for a house to buy with some property - and found one in April, escrow closed in May, it took two more months to get the well pump situation handled so there was running water for my new home. Almost two-thirds of an acre. I moved my flock at the end of July 2011.

So, in August, I ordered six sexed Cayuga ducklings from Metzer Farms. Two were taken by predators when they got out of their pen during the night and wandered the property. So that leaves me with four drakes and four ducks. Not a great ratio... but they're working it out. I also added two call ducks and a pair of Toulouse geese. We won't even go into how my chicken population has changed.

But, yes.... ducks are incredibly addictive! My Cayuga girls are starting to lay now....

Oh my! I will be moving here soon too. But I know with the added space and not being in city limits, I may end up with a very large flock of ducks. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom