Duck found on his back, weak, will not drink

cat1994

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Southeast MO
I went out to care for my ducks and found one of my male call ducks on his back. He was trying to trun over right side up, but could not. I took him inside and gave him water and food, but he will not eat or drink. He can stand, but he is very wobbly. About 3 days befor this, he had a crusty eye. I got medicine and it went away, so I put him back outside. Could they be connected? I just don't know what to do! He seemed was better, but now I just don't know! Can anyone help?!

How cold it is out by you? I have had a duck get hypothermia by getting stuck on his back, his feet had actually turned blue by the time I found him, but after a 1/2 hour bout under the hair dryer he was much better and never quit eating or drinking. Could this be the problem? I would bring him in and see if warming him up helps him if it is cold by you.

Last edited:
Did you try putting him in a pool or the sink or something and just letting him float by himelf for a while? That might help him come around. I have a drake that flips on his back all the time. And now that I read the post about the frozen feet I'm going to be really paranoid about that happening to the little guy.

It wasn't even freezing outside when this happened to my duck...he was inside, but was stuck on his back close to the wall of the stall and the bedding he was lying on was wet because it was by the water bowls. He was shivering and his feet were visibly blue, and he felt cold to the touch. My best guess is he was stuck on his back overnight, and being on cold ground didn't help him one bit. He likely burned up a ton of energy during his struggle, because the shavings were very ruffled where he was.

Well, my duck is dying
hit.gif
I don't know what to do.
he.gif
He trys to walk but just falls over.
hu.gif
He did drink a lil.
hmm.png
He can not hold his head up.
sad.png
I saw him frantically itching at both his eyes,
hu.gif
I used up all the meds I had for him
barnie.gif
Keep him in your prayers
fl.gif
can anyone help

Without any of the other ducks being sick, it sounds to me like it could be something he has ingested making him sick. If it were parasites- other ducks would show symptoms. If it were something in the food- all your ducks would be unwell. He could have consumed something toxic that has slowly been shutting down his body over a number of days- or it could even be something like lead poisoning that has happened over a number of months.

A few questions.

How old is the drake?
Do you ever worm your ducks?
Tell us a bit about where they live- what is the coop made from and what is in the area that they free range in? Is there a creek or pond and what kind of trees are there?

Keep him warm and comfortable in a small box so he cant move around too much.

Well my lil call duck just died in my arms
hit.gif
We are pretty sure he had some sort of inflammation of the brain.
hu.gif
He had some violent seizures, and then he died
hit.gif
I just wise I could of done something
he.gif
hit.gif

Sorry to hear about your duck:(
I had 4 ducks. I noticed one day when I went to check on them that 3 of them couldn't stand up or even walk. They could move the neck and wings fine, it just seemed to be the legs that they were having trouble with. I moved them into a section of the garage to keep a closer eye on them. They wouldn't eat and were very weak. I hated seeing them suffer. Within days, 2 of them passed away before we could get them to an avian vet. We did get Daisey to the vets and we found out from the x-ray she had lead poisoning (4 fishing sinkers). We are currently giving her medicine, but it seems like she is getting worse as each day passes by. I'm hoping the medicine helps her and has a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom