Duck gasping

You might call an ask. When my Runner female laid a soft shell she kept off by herself and I could tell something was wrong it took her a half day to lay that egg. She never did mouth breathing though. She may just have another egg in there.

My wife and I will consider the vet option and I'll keep you updated. We do greatly appreciate your input and advice!

Nobody wants to pick favorites of kids and all, but if we had to then this duck would be it. Apparently she was in the nest box earlier because she was laying her egg. Then she was under the trumpet vine because her sisters were hunting there. Now she is sitting in the flower bed because her sisters are roaming the flower bed. It's like she just wants to be near her sisters but sits and breathes heavy while they hunt. Every time she picks a new spot, we move a new fresh container of water next to her.

My duck has been gasping and coughing since yesterday and we don't know if we need to find Clavamox or just wait to see if things clear up. I posted in this thread because it seems to be very related to the symptoms originally described. Here is a video link of her. Is this what your duck was doing? She still eats and drinks, but has been hiding in her nest box most of the day. https://photos.app.goo.gl/G6EHJxMz5aSmSutM8
I greatly appreciate any advice!
Hi,
My duck had some pellets before sleeping, she kinda rush for food and since pellets are rough she was gasping in the sleep.
I don’t think your duck is gasping, she has difficulty in breathing and she seems in pain, she’s probably egg bound!
Do you feel an egg? Does she walk normally?
I would say to take it seriously and take her to a vet if that’s possible. Also add some epsom salt to lukewarm water and gently put her into it. Scramble egg could help too.

Thank you all!
We have a tractor supply nearby so we'll pick up some calcium gluconate and try that. If the symptoms are still present in the morning, we will call the vet and see if we can get her examined. When your layers do get egg bound, how soon do they typically take to resolve?

Thank you all!
We have a tractor supply nearby so we'll pick up some calcium gluconate and try that. If the symptoms are still present in the morning, we will call the vet and see if we can get her examined. When your layers do get egg bound, how soon do they typically take to resolve?

Great!

Most of mine have only had very minor egg bound issues that resolve within a day or 12 hours.

Thank you all!
I hope she lays soon.
It can take a few hours, once my duck kept it for 10hrs🤦🏻‍♀️
Lukewarm bath and calcium will help her. Even giving a teaspoon of organic olive oil once helped my duck!

Back
Top Bottom