Duck gasping

They have free roam of our yard along with the option of layer pellets and crushed oyster shell. She (and her two sisters) happily ate a bunch of slugs yesterday that we found while doing yard work. She does not look particularly big in the belly and we didn't see anything stuck in her throat. Up close it does sound like she is wheezing with every breath.

Attachments

• IMG_20200409_105124.jpg
    IMG_20200409_105124.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 5
They have free roam of our yard along with the option of layer pellets and crushed oyster shell. She (and her two sisters) happily ate a bunch of slugs yesterday that we found while doing yard work. She does not look particularly big in the belly and we didn't see anything stuck in her throat. Up close it does sound like she is wheezing with every breath.

How did her belly feel? Is she contracting her vent muscles at all , does she sometimes have a penguin like appearance?

I have read of the slime causing trouble. Maybe add some ACV in their drinking water it may help break that down if that’s what it is. I use 1 tab to 1 gal of water.

How did her belly feel? Is she contracting her vent muscles at all , does she sometimes have a penguin like appearance?
Her belly just feels like its expanding fully with every breath. I don't think I feel any other muscle contraction. She is now just sitting in a shaded corner under our trumpet vine taking deep breaths and every few minutes squeaking. I have not seen any penguin like uprightness, but I will keep watching.

Last edited:
Just another quick update, she just laid an egg (smaller than usual). However, she still is exhibiting the super heavy breathing with her bill open and squeaking :(.

Do you have a vet nearby you can take her to?
There is vet about an hour a way we know of who sees waterfowl, but we were hoping to avoid the 2 hours of driving if this seems like a recognizable respiratory infection that requires a specific antibiotic that we may have access to. Are there telehealth vets these days?

There is vet about an hour a way we know of who sees waterfowl, but we were hoping to avoid the 2 hours of driving if this seems like a recognizable respiratory infection that requires a specific antibiotic that we may have access to. Are there telehealth vets these days?

I understand, sometimes its hard for us to make a confident diagnosis without being able to physically examine the bird, your bird is obviously distressed and should be cared for. IMO a respiratory disease wouldn't just pop up after a day of being normal, to me it sounds like either possible reproductive problems or she has something lodged in her throat. I'd advise taking her to a vet since you can, If you don't we can still help.

Back
Top Bottom