Duck gasping

What do you mean by culling?šŸ˜³
Her surgery was 6months ago, she was healthy right after surgery until a few days ago!
Do people euthanase your birds for a (possible) respiratory infection?! Wow!
No...I do mean euthanize if necessary? I understand and you possibly can get them better with the proper antibiotics.
Try and see how she responds to care.

Not many would cull / kill without trying to save them especially if they have an antibiotic to try. Please donā€™t think that of us @Maryam.
No, I was just shocked cause they donā€™t have a serious health problem; except for cookieā€™s laying issue. Also for that I took her to vet again a week ago. The vet gave her oral calcium and said I have to increase the light and decrease the protein of her food.
I would never think that of you; Since they were two little ducklings and I was new to everything you helped me with duckā€™s diet, medicines and everything. Iā€™m so grateful for everything ā¤ļø

Do people euthanase your birds for a (possible) respiratory infection?! Wow!
Many people do euthanize birds with respiratory infections rather than treat them, especially if it's something like Coryza, MG, MS, ILT, etc., those are diseases that have the potential to infect an entire flock. But since you have just one that is sick, there is a good chance it's not one of those nasty diseases, so it makes sense to try treating her.
Should I give it to both of them? Since it might be contagious..
No, Just give it to her.
I read somewhere 10 mg/kg, is it right?
Yes, 10-15 mg/kg twice a day.
I would be grateful if you help me with calculating the dos
Do you have liquid or pills?
If liquid, how many mg per ml?

Many people do euthanize birds with respiratory infections rather than treat them, especially if it's something like Coryza, MG, MS, ILT, etc., those are diseases that have the potential to infect an entire flock. But since you have just one that is sick, there is a good chance it's not one of those nasty diseases, so it makes sense to try treating her.

No, Just give it to her.

Yes, 10-15 mg/kg twice a day.

Do you have liquid or pills?
If liquid, how many mg per ml?
Oh, I had no idea! I wished I had a flock, Thereā€™s just the two of them
I donā€™t think itā€™s so serious cause sheā€™s had these symptoms before and after a round of antibiotics she recovered.
She has had two doses already but once a day. Is it okay if I start giving her twice a day from now on?
Itā€™s liquid, Iā€™ve heard itā€™s bitter So I am mixing it with tomatoes.
Thank you for always helping with the diseases and medication, youā€™re a life saverā¤ļø

Hey,
My adult duck suddenly started gasping for air half an hour ago, she had some water and she was fine. She was sleeping I heard an unusual sound and I saw her gasping in sleep! Her nares are fine, It doesnā€™t seem that she has food clogged in her throat, I have no idea what is wrong with her.
I have seen this happening before but it was when they ate nonstop.. She hadnā€™t eaten anything before she started gasping .
I just added electrolytes to their water cause I read it in a thread ..
Please help
It's probably chocking on food
Okay well maybe she had a bit of feed stuck in her throat and she got it out. Be safe over there.
She could have gotten water in her lungs is there any mucus around her nose and beak?

It will work better if you give it twice a day. If you have the
10 mg/kg
100 mg/ml dose = 0.1 ml per kg twice a day
50 mg/ml dose = 0.2 ml per kg twice a day
25 mg/ml dose = 0.4 ml per kg twice a day

15 mg/kg
100 mg/ml dose = 0.15 ml per kg twice a day
50 mg/ml dose = 0.3 ml per kg twice a day
25 mg/ml dose = 0.6 ml per kg twice a day

If it's going to work you should see improvement in 24-72 hours.

I think what @chickens really is trying to say is whatever choice you make will be respected, some folks can feel guilted into spending big bucks on vets, its great that you are able too!
I am truly thankful for all of you for trying to help me and the girls! šŸ˜
In my country (Iran) vet checkups is not as expensive as United States. For dogs I guess itā€™s pretty expensive.. but not for birds.

Back
Top Bottom