duck gone broody

She has been a very good momma so far, which is surprising with her being so young! I've watched her like a hawk this whole time making sure she didn't get cold feet and run out on them!

Hopefully she'll continue just make sure she can keep them all warm with this frigid weather most of us are having. How many more to hatch? I wouldn't let her take them in water till the temps moderate some they could chill really fast.

Last edited:
OK ... My surprise hatch has taken a turn for the worse. My ducklings are dying and it not because they don't have a good momma. I found 2 in the house dead and thought they may have been smothered on the bottom with the other babies. Yesterday o was watching them and a couple were losing their balance and flailing around on their backs. Momma would come and flip them back over and continue on their way only to do the same thing again.
I was afraid maybe this was due to them getting chilled so brought them all inside under the heat lamp where they slept last night with food and water. This morning another was on its back having what looked like little seizures. I force fed a sugar water mixture, but no improvement. Help please!

OK ... My surprise hatch has taken a turn for the worse. My ducklings are dying and it not because they don't have a good momma. I found 2 in the house dead and thought they may have been smothered on the bottom with the other babies. Yesterday o was watching them and a couple were losing their balance and flailing around on their backs. Momma would come and flip them back over and continue on their way only to do the same thing again.
I was afraid maybe this was due to them getting chilled so brought them all inside under the heat lamp where they slept last night with food and water. This morning another was on its back having what looked like little seizures. I force fed a sugar water mixture, but no improvement. Help please!
Can you get some Poultry nutri drench? TSC carries it and some feed stores. You can use a needle less syringe and give small amounts right inside their bill not down their throat it goes to work fast. what are you feeding and could they have gotten into anything toxic? or chilled?

http://www.nutridrench.com/poultry-nutri-drench.html

Last edited:
Couldn't have gotten to anything toxic as I haven't let them out of the coop due to the low temps. My best guess is maybe they got chilled with the low temps we've had recently. I had the heat lamp in the coop for them but I guess it was no match for the overnight lows.
I lost the baby I was tending to while my husband had gone to get some electrolytes. The 7 others are eating hardily and drinking and moving around the brooder so they must be at a comfortable temp now.
Keep your fingers crossed they continue to be healthy.

Couldn't have gotten to anything toxic as I haven't let them out of the coop due to the low temps. My best guess is maybe they got chilled with the low temps we've had recently. I had the heat lamp in the coop for them but I guess it was no match for the overnight lows.
I lost the baby I was tending to while my husband had gone to get some electrolytes. The 7 others are eating hardily and drinking and moving around the brooder so they must be at a comfortable temp now.
Keep your fingers crossed they continue to be healthy.
I'm sorry about the ones you lost, glad the rest are doing good now,keep and eye on the temps so they don't get too warm, How old are they now?

They are a week old today.
I think you may have figured it out, this last weeks temps were awful and mama ducks as hard as they try just don't keep their babies under them like mama hens do, so that may have been what it was. I sure hope the rest will be okay now. please update often. and pics when you can.

The babies continue to do well. Even went for a swim in the bathtub this morning. Also I think I may have semi conquered the mess of brooding ducks! Woohoo!
[/IMG]

The babies continue to do well. Even went for a swim in the bathtub this morning. Also I think I may have semi conquered the mess of brooding ducks! Woohoo!
[/URL]
That's great to hear, they are adorable. now we need to know how you conquered the mess with brooding ducks??
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom