Duck has build a nest, should i remove eggs? (No ducklings wanted)

WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Friends,

need a quick advice: To my surprise, my Indian Runner ducks have started to lay recently. Now today i discovered that one of them has build a nest inside with already two eggs inside. We don't want any ducklings in Winter! I have not removed the eggs yet, have read that ducks lay some test-eggs in a nest site, cover them and if those aren't removed they start using the nest seriously. I'm afraid now that if i take those two eggs away, the duck will lay her eggs somewhere else, where i might not find them. I don't want ducklings now but i don't want to spook my duck. How unlikely is it for an Indian Runner to go broody anyway?

Remove the real eggs daily and add some fake ceramic eggs to keep her laying in the same spot.
Right, that was my idea too, problem is i don't have any artificial eggs and the nearest store that has some is 2 hours away (one-way!). I don't think a white golf-ball would be accepted?

Right, that was my idea too, problem is i don't have any artificial eggs and the nearest store that has some is 2 hours away (one-way!). I don't think a white golf-ball would be accepted?
You could just make sure to leave a few each day. I think if you do remove them all she will move somewhere else. I don't know runner ducks only muscovy, so I could be wrong.

Mark one or two eggs with a sharpie marker. Leave those 2, but remove any others as they are added. Keep a couple to replace the original 2 marked ones (keep, as in don't eat lol) Replace the marked ones every week to 10 days.
Excellent Idea! Will do so with a little change: Will replace the duck eggs with store-bough chicken eggs until the fake duck-eggs i just ordered will arrive next week. Thank you very much!

Done! Switched the duck-eggs with chicken eggs.
This is what the nest with the duck-eggs looked like:
20181212_151403.jpg
And here is the nest with the chicken eggs:
20181212_151431.jpg
I covered the eggs, just like Mrs. Duck did:
20181212_151441.jpg
The duck eggs are slightly smaller than the store-bought chicken eggs, so i assume those are from one of my smaller females.
20181212_152039.jpg
Let's see how the eggchange trick works out.
:pop

Back
Top Bottom