duck has feathers on the leg?!!

goats rule 101

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
Minnesota
Hi I got my ducks a long time ago and I have always noticed that one of my drakes has white feathers on his legs. I don't know what they are actually. Hes had them since I got him I just want to be sure its not too serious. He doesn't limp or anything i didn't get him as I duckling so I'm not sure if he was hatched like that. Anyone ever seen anything like this.
Thanks, Hannah!

I will see if I can post a picture too.

A picture will be great..... it might be the new generation of feathered feet ducks.... never let him go.... breed him and see what you get.... but make sure it's not few feathers stuck to the leg. :p

Feathered legs are not a common ocurance in ducks.
I've seen it a few times, one was a khaki campbell mix and the other was a cayuga
It shouldn't interfere with the health of the duck in any way so there's nothing to worry about. You just have a special duck thats different than most
smile.png

Whoa, that's cool! I'd really like to know what would happen if you bred him. Would there be other ducks with feathered legs?

If you can, you should totally see if you can find a feathered-leg hen and see what you get. I wonder if it's like the merle gene in dogs, though? Where it causes health problems, such as blindness and deafness, or the harlequin gene in Great Danes, which also massively shortens the lifespan.

Back
Top Bottom