duck has feathers on the leg?!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by goats rule 101, Sep 29, 2013.

1. goats rule 101

goats rule 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    Hi I got my ducks a long time ago and I have always noticed that one of my drakes has white feathers on his legs. I don't know what they are actually. Hes had them since I got him I just want to be sure its not too serious. He doesn't limp or anything i didn't get him as I duckling so I'm not sure if he was hatched like that. Anyone ever seen anything like this.
    Thanks, Hannah!

I will see if I can post a picture too.

2. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    A picture will be great..... it might be the new generation of feathered feet ducks.... never let him go.... breed him and see what you get.... but make sure it's not few feathers stuck to the leg. :p

3. goats rule 101

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    Okay ill get a picture soon!!! It might take a while though.

4. goats rule 101

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    I would also like to add that he is almost a year old rouen drake. Ill put a pic on soon its hard to hold him and take a picture so sorry for the wait.

5. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Feathered legs are not a common ocurance in ducks.
    I've seen it a few times, one was a khaki campbell mix and the other was a cayuga
    It shouldn't interfere with the health of the duck in any way so there's nothing to worry about. You just have a special duck thats different than most [​IMG]

6. goats rule 101

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    Ok thanks here are some pics I was able to get. Its not full of feathers if that's what they are, its about the same amount on each side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Yup, those are feathered legs!
    Nothing to worry about, they shouldn't effect him in any negative way
    Very cool though as you don't often see feathered legs in ducks!

8. Zombified

Zombified Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Kentucky, USA
    Whoa, that's cool! I'd really like to know what would happen if you bred him. Would there be other ducks with feathered legs?

If you can, you should totally see if you can find a feathered-leg hen and see what you get. I wonder if it's like the merle gene in dogs, though? Where it causes health problems, such as blindness and deafness, or the harlequin gene in Great Danes, which also massively shortens the lifespan.

9. goats rule 101

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    If anyone in minnesota has a feathered leg female we could certainly try!:D Hes part of my first flock so I was worried that maybe something was wrong with him as I've never heard of feathers on their legs and none of my other rouens have them.

10. Zombified

Zombified Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Kentucky, USA
    In the meantime, definitely see what sort of ducklings he produces. I wonder if it even is a gene, or if it's just a random mutation?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by