Duck hatch!!!!!

I've incubated chickens, Guinea fowl, and quail but never ducks, so I need to know the basics. Thanks.
Keep the temp as close to 99.5F as you can, humidity should be 45%-50% during incubation. For lockdown raise the humidity to 60%-70%. Most ducks should take 28 days to hatch, but sometimes they'll hatch earlier (mine seemed to hatch day 25, which is supposed to be lockdown day, but I had to lockdown early on day 22-23). Ducklings also are very slow hatchers, and it can take them over 72 hours to completely hatch.

It's said that duck eggs benefit from misting and cooling (for about 30 mins) stating on day 10. I've done this when I hatched my ducks but haven't conducted my own experiment to see if it really does improve the hatch rate.

The only other thing I can think of that makes ducklings different from other poultry is bruising. Sometimes when the ducklings start to pip the eggs will appear bruised. As long as the bruise is near the air cell, there shouldn't be any reason to worry. If bruising appears away from the air cell a safety hole should be made in the middle of the bruise ASAP.

Best of luck with your hatch and let us know if you have any more questions.

Back
Top Bottom