Duck hatching right now and mom left the nest

Oh no
I luckily haven’t had that happen yet
But have read it terrible
So, I just bought that little giant still air incubator because I just needed the warm, the eggs were done, no turning or anything needed. Anyway, it has humidity channels in the bottom so I put water in there. Turns out, it also has holes in the bottom slightly above the water line. but if you are frantic because your baby is now soaked in exploded nasty and you have to get the eggs out and cleaned off and candled before anything else explodes, you don’t notice the holes...until your feet and floor and counter are covered in watery exploded egg. WHAT HAVE I DONE.

tell you what, I don’t care how hard a broody tries to hatch eggs, I’m never doing this again!

So, I just bought that little giant still air incubator because I just needed the warm, the eggs were done, no turning or anything needed. Anyway, it has humidity channels in the bottom so I put water in there. Turns out, it also has holes in the bottom slightly above the water line. but if you are frantic because your baby is now soaked in exploded nasty and you have to get the eggs out and cleaned off and candled before anything else explodes, you don’t notice the holes...until your feet and floor and counter are covered in watery exploded egg. WHAT HAVE I DONE.

tell you what, I don’t care how hard a broody tries to hatch eggs, I’m never doing this again!
Sounds like a mess! If the mess is still continuing to unfold, I would take all the eggs out, and the duckling, wipe him down and dry him a little with a paper towel (ensure before you do this that his naval area is clean, no umbilical cord, yolk or open hole left in his tummy. Be gentle). Clean out the incubator with water, and then put everyone back in.

I washed the baby, cleaned the eggs, candled the eggs, put the incubator back together after it was cleaned, put the eggs back in and the baby into its oh so lonely brooder. I hope it’s ok. I couldn’t leave it to dry out in the incubator in that mess and it was absolutely soaked besides. it must have gone to sleep, but I hear some quiet peeps now. Should I give it electrolyte water today? Or wait? I’ve always ordered them so I never even got to see them until they were 2 days old minimum and there was only grow gel in their box. And it’s been 6 years since then!

I washed the baby, cleaned the eggs, candled the eggs, put the incubator back together after it was cleaned, put the eggs back in and the baby into its oh so lonely brooder. I hope it’s ok. I couldn’t leave it to dry out in the incubator in that mess and it was absolutely soaked besides. it must have gone to sleep, but I hear some quiet peeps now. Should I give it electrolyte water today? Or wait? I’ve always ordered them so I never even got to see them until they were 2 days old minimum and there was only grow gel in their box. And it’s been 6 years since then!
they dont need water yet, but since she may have had a hard time hatching, if shes dry now, you could take her out for a minute and offer some, and see if she'll take a sip. I wouldnt leave any in the incubator with her though.

D148A0C5-F355-4BCE-88C3-6F437A56234E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom