duck hatching

forrest146

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2018
richmond, va
we are hatching 6 ducks after ours got killed by a fox. this is our first time so not sure what we are doing but this site has been very helpful. we are on day 28 now and 3 have hatched , one never piped even thou being active on lockdown day. the remaining 2 have piped but one seems to have bill stuck. he has been like this for about 12 hours now and im worried that the membrane is turning yellow and he will be stuck, he moves his bill but just opens and closes it he never takes it inside shell to peck at it anymore to get out. any suggestions? here are a couple pics

humidty is 75 to 80

20190105_223742.jpg
20190105_223734.jpg

here are the 3 that have made it so far first one hatched 26 hrs ago, 2nd one 18 hrs ago and the last like 16 hours ago.
20190105_224620.jpg

we are hatching 6 ducks after ours got killed by a fox. this is our first time so not sure what we are doing but this site has been very helpful. we are on day 28 now and 3 have hatched , one never piped even thou being active on lockdown day. the remaining 2 have piped but one seems to have bill stuck. he has been like this for about 12 hours now and im worried that the membrane is turning yellow and he will be stuck, he moves his bill but just opens and closes it he never takes it inside shell to peck at it anymore to get out. any suggestions? here are a couple pics

humidty is 75 to 80

View attachment 1634408 View attachment 1634409
here are the 3 that have made it so far first one hatched 26 hrs ago, 2nd one 18 hrs ago and the last like 16 hours ago.View attachment 1634410
I'm sorry I can't help in any way as have no experience in hatching, but best of luck with everything, I hope some people with experience get to respond in time!

Do you have any coconut oil on hand? You can take a q-tip dipped in coconut oil and dab it around the membrane, it will help to keep the membrane from drying out.
I'd give it a little longer to get out on it's own, if no progress in the next couple of hours, then I'd consider doing an assisted hatch.

after doing some more research and candling him again he has piped but not thru the air sac he did thru the other side. once i put some coconut oil on the membrane i can see a few veins on each side of his hole. should i just sit back and wait? he piped like 48 hrs ago. he is still chirpping and moving his bill alot .

Back
Top Bottom