Duck hen prolapse

She's in the tub soaking. This is round 2. She's been soaking for about 30 minutes now. Will eat supper and then apply a vaseline/honey salve. This is all I know to for now.

I haven't dealt with a duck prolapse, but I've had some conversations about it with other duck keepers. I just wanted to mention, make sure she stays separate. The other ducks will pick at it and if the drakes try to breed her that could really hurt her.
Also, how big is the prolapse? Is there an egg or something in it? Hens will sometimes get a prolapsed oviduct from pushing too hard to get an egg out. Make sure the prolapse area stays very very clean. I'd keep her on puppy pads or towels, something easy to clean frequently.

When did she last lay an egg?

I haven't dealt with a duck prolapse, but I've had some conversations about it with other duck keepers. I just wanted to mention, make sure she stays separate. The other ducks will pick at it and if the drakes try to breed her that could really hurt her.
Also, how big is the prolapse? Is there an egg or something in it? Hens will sometimes get a prolapsed oviduct from pushing too hard to get an egg out. Make sure the prolapse area stays very very clean. I'd keep her on puppy pads or towels, something easy to clean frequently.

When did she last lay an egg?
I can't confirm, but I believe she's laid one egg. That's it. She's not laid anymore since. That was 3 days ago. I didn't feel any eggs in there when I palpated, either.

I have one drake. He has tried to breed her once that I've seen. She isn't allowed in the pool (will be getting another ASAP), so she gets ignored. She's not bullied, just treated like she's invisible.

I can't confirm, but ai believe she's laid one egg. That's it. She's not laid anymore since. I didn't feel any eggs in there when I palpated, either.

I have one drake. He has tried to breed her once that I've seen. She isn't allowed in the pool (will be getting another ASAP), so she gets ignored. She's not bullied, just treated like she's invisible.
If you put her in a room that is totally dark it will halt her laying cycle. That would be a good idea so that doesn't interfere with the prolapse. Can you put her in a big dog crate maybe? One nip from the other birds in the wrong place and she'll have no chance of healing up.

I have pics and will update this post after I eat supper. Goodness it's been a long eve lol.

It's a very mild prolapse. This time I soaked her for an hour and then slathered honey/vaseline mixture on and in her. @Old Grey Mare held her for me while I gently held the prolapse in. Then it stayed in, so she held her for another 15ish minutes. For now she is back out. I will check her again before bed and then make the decision to bring her in or leave her out. She will come in tomorrow morning for the day either way.

If you put her in a room that is totally dark it will halt her laying cycle. That would be a good idea so that doesn't interfere with the prolapse. Can you put her in a big dog crate maybe? One nip from the other birds in the wrong place and she'll have no chance of healing up.
They sit so low to the ground, there's absolutely no nipping. You can't see it unless you know it's there and look for it.

I only have 2 laying. She's not laying consistently, if she's laying at all. She will be in all day tomorrow though, so I can keep lights out if need be.

Back
Top Bottom