Duck hen prolapse

I have pics and will update this post after I eat supper. Goodness it's been a long eve lol.

It's a very mild prolapse. This time I soaked her for an hour and then slathered honey/vaseline mixture on and in her. @Old Grey Mare held her for me while I gently held the prolapse in. Then it stayed in, so she held her for another 15ish minutes. For now she is back out. I will check her again before bed and then make the decision to bring her in or leave her out. She will come in tomorrow morning for the day either way.
There's a way to fold it in, I've heard if you roll it in on itself as much as you can reach, and then put them in a tiny/short crate in a dark room so they can't stand up, that helps it stay in. Then smear preparation H or something similar over the vent. I don't know if it's superior somehow or not but people say to always use preparation H.
Apparently this is fairly common in small ducks that lay big eggs, like ruddy ducks, so I've heard a lot about it. These people usually have a really good success rate.
Anyways good luck with her. I hope she's ok. Which hen is it?

There's a way to fold it in, I've heard if you roll it in on itself as much as you can reach, and then put them in a tiny/short crate in a dark room so they can't stand up, that helps it stay in. Then smear preparation H or something similar over the vent. I don't know if it's superior somehow or not but people say to always use preparation H.
Apparently this is fairly common in small ducks that lay big eggs, like ruddy ducks, so I've heard a lot about it. These people usually have a really good success rate.
Anyways good luck with her. I hope she's ok. Which hen is it?
I don't have prep-H, but I have cortisone cream. Will that work? Someone mentioned it earlier.

The really expensive one. 🫠

Have a mild prolapse on a very tiny Call Duck hen. I soaked her, applied sugar infused Vaseline, and gently pushed it back in and held it for a bit. It seemed to stay.... until she pooped.

I will get pics later. Right now she's got a THICK coating of Vaseline on it. I am super busy and will get pics when I bring her back in to try round 2. Until then I'd appreciate any and all advice. I've never dealt with prolapse before.

@casportpony
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive

Edited to add pics:

Hoping the odd looking bit is just stuck poo and not dead tissue. Wasnt easy to get pics of. I trimmed her feathers around her vent as well. Otherwise you couldn't see it.

After first treatment and second soak:
View attachment 3433011
View attachment 3433017
View attachment 3433021

After second treatment. Back in, here.
View attachment 3433023
View attachment 3433027
View attachment 3433028
Added pics.

Back
Top Bottom