Duck hen prolapse

Pics

Painted Calls

Still the Mayor
Premium Feather Member
Aug 26, 2019
Have a mild prolapse on a very tiny Call Duck hen. I soaked her, applied sugar infused Vaseline, and gently pushed it back in and held it for a bit. It seemed to stay.... until she pooped.

I will get pics later. Right now she's got a THICK coating of Vaseline on it. I am super busy and will get pics when I bring her back in to try round 2. Until then I'd appreciate any and all advice. I've never dealt with prolapse before.

@casportpony
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive

Edited to add pics:

Hoping the odd looking bit is just stuck poo and not dead tissue. Wasnt easy to get pics of. I trimmed her feathers around her vent as well. Otherwise you couldn't see it.

After first treatment and second soak:
20230315_204252.jpg

20230315_204329.jpg

20230315_204227.jpg

After second treatment. Back in, here.
20230315_205312.jpg

20230315_205308.jpg

20230315_205301.jpg

Last edited:
One of my Pekins prolapsed last year, and it went back in really easy, but came back out every time she pooped too. I did epsom salt baths and switched between using vaseline and honey.

Popping back in to add more details....

She won't leave it the heck alone. Should I make an e-collar? I can bring her in to stay if need be - depending on care requirements. I can also crate her in the duck house. She's currently in with 4 other hens, one drake, and a chicken hen.

I think any kind of honey and sugar syrup can both work to help reduce swelling because it draws fluid from tissue. The main thing is to keep the tissue moist until it will stay in, and man use hydrocortisone cream, but plain old vaseline or olive oil can do that. I don’t have experience with ducks, just chickens. @Miss Lydia and others deal with ducks more.

Popping back in to add more details....

She won't leave it the heck alone. Should I make an e-collar? I can bring her in to stay if need be - depending on care requirements. I can also crate her in the duck house. She's currently in with 4 other hens, one drake, and a chicken hen.
That could make it worse if she keeps irritating it. Mine never did that so I'm not totally sure

Back
Top Bottom