DUCK HOUSE

That is really a nice duck house. and nice yard& pond and beautiful ducks. One bit of advise, I wouldn't have the house sitting all the way on the ground. In the heat of the day your ducks will like being able to get under the house for shade. But of course you do what you want. I love the windows lots of ventilations, so important for their health.

Plus being off the ground some gives them a place to seek refuge.

Our one house that was a chicken coop at first is 1.5 ft off the ground and my 3 Scovy's that sleep in it use the ramp without any problems. Another thing that I did was I closed in the side where the wind came through[which is facing west for us] that way in the winter they can get under and out of the wind,snow and rain.

This is their little house. It has dutch doors so in the winter the tops can be closed and just the bottoms open in inclement weather. There is an auto waterer for horses inside that connects to a rain barrel behind the house.

This is their pool and pool Cabana. They use the Cabana quite a bit when its sunny or an eagle flies over.

This is the feeding area. Their yard is around 50' x 75' or so. We will be adding another fence around the future orchard that will give them another 5000 square feet or so.
I know its been about a year since you posted, but Don't your ducks fly over that short fence? My little duck flies right over her pen. I t looks as tall as yours. Love your set-up!
bow.gif

Hi! Yes, the dog house has been wonderful! I have had it for almost 2 years now and it has kept all three of my ducks warm throughout -10 temperatures! Ducks are usually well-equipped to handle the harsh cold since they have amazing down feathers. Add lots of hay! They will be able to snuggle together for warmth. If you are unable to clean the coop because of the cold, just keep adding fresh hay on top. Surprisingly, the duck poop will actually aid in keeping them warm! Just make sure it doesn't get too dirty---or you'll have a bunch of messy ducks! Oh, and one last quick word about the dog house : it does not come with a door but with plastic flaps! My dad actually made a door from pieces of wood and hardware cloth. Since hardware cloth has holes, we used stapled the plastic flaps over the screening to keep the rain out. Over time, we added a bigger ramp and elevated the coop higher off the ground to keep it from being swallowed in 2ft of snow! Here is a current picture.

Are ducks night house! We're only getting three. My husband and my four year old son spent the last two weekends getting it all ready and predictor secure.

Back
Top Bottom