Duck laid egg in run

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi everyone,
Still learning on duck and goose keeping. Haven’t been doing too bad. Wanted y’all’s opinion on how to deal with an egg that was laid in run. Not sure how long it’s been there maybe 2 days? I noticed this morning when I put them in run that one was off by herself and lo and behold there’s a perfectly neat round hole with a single egg. In coop I’ve been collecting but now she’s been acting motherly with this one and I don’t need babies at this time. Any suggestions? Can’t leave egg in run. They go in coop in early afternoon for the night. Thank you!

Hi! Just remove the egg as you would for any other and fill in the depression. Some ducks though, when they go broody, cannot be dissuaded from sitting, no matter what. With her being in the run though, you wouldn't want her sitting there due to potential predator issues.

If she insists, you may need to keep her in the coop, with some breaks to go out and splash around. Give her fake eggs if she eventually starts sitting inside.

Hi! Just remove the egg as you would for any other and fill in the depression. Some ducks though, when they go broody, cannot be dissuaded from sitting, no matter what. With her being in the run though, you wouldn't want her sitting there due to potential predator issues.

If she insists, you may need to keep her in the coop, with some breaks to go out and splash around. Give her fake eggs if she eventually starts sitting inside.
Ok thank you!

Yes. They keep about two weeks out of the fridge. You will never eat a chicken egg again.
Yes. They keep about two weeks out of the fridge. You will never eat a chicken egg again.
Wow. I did not know that.Amazing they last that long before refrigerated. Thanks again for this information. My husband did look up on internet while I asked on this forum and he said almost same thing. But I wanted to make sure that was correct and get it from the experts on backyardchickens! Y’all are awesome.

If you are not ok with eating it just toss it in the trash. You’ll be getting about 900000 more lol.

Back
Top Bottom