Duck laying shell-less eggs

noodledog

Songster
Jan 15, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I have a (nearly) 1 year old Call duck named Basil who started laying this spring. She was laying solid, nicely shelled eggs for a while - eventually they started being soft-shelled and now they have no shell, just the membrane and the egg inside. None of my other ducks have this problem and everyone else has solid eggs.

I've been giving her calcium citrate + D3 consistently in her water for about a week without change - I think it's about 600mg per day, but she spills a lot of her water so she doesn't get all of it (stopped that for now as to not overload her kidneys, she doesn't lay every day either). She's been laying the eggs without shells for a good bit of time and the calcium hasn't changed that. She's on a duck grower pellet with 18% protein and oyster shells on the side. She occasionally gets treats like lettuce, other greens, peas, and dandelion greens. She's never been egg bound and appears perfectly healthy otherwise. Everything I've read says it's typically from a calcium deficiency but supplemental calcium hasn't fixed it - could it be a reproductive issue, something else, or could she maybe not be getting enough of it?

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, any ideas what it is or ideas for any other things I could possibly try. Going to take her to vet once I've saved a bit more money if it doesn't resolve itself soon - this poor bird has been through so much in her life (eye infections, leg problems and now this)

Posting this here instead of the duck forum, because I think issues like this are pretty similar to chickens - plus it's more active. Included pictures of her just because + a not great picture of one of her eggs below

Attachments

• IMG_8046.jpeg
    IMG_8046.jpeg
    667.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7810.jpeg
    IMG_7810.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8032.jpeg
    IMG_8032.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 2
bumping this since I posted late at night
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have a khaki campbell with similar issue, she has more or less stopped laying in the past month or so, just the occasional thin shell egg once or twice a week. Calcium supplements don’t seem to help

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have a khaki campbell with similar issue, she has more or less stopped laying in the past month or so, just the occasional thin shell egg once or twice a week. Calcium supplements don’t seem to help
I unfortunately did not - she's stopped laying for this year (her last egg was shell-less too) but I am still planning on getting her checked out by a vet. Hopefully you can figure out what's going on with yours, I tried so many things with mine and nothing helped.

Back
Top Bottom