Duck laying

Oct 17, 2020
Does anyone else's ducks lay at night? I'm not sure why mine do. No matter what time I let them out, there are always 4 or more eggs that were laid. I've let them out at 7am and as early as 5am... same thing. Because of this, we had an egg burst from the cold. The ducks are fine, my eggs just get a bit cold lol hurry up warmer days!

Might they be laying right after you put them in for the night? Do they lay eggs in a nest or drop them just anywhere?

They drop them anywhere in the coop. They refused a nesting area. Usually they all end up in a clutch together but today they were spread out in different parts of the coop. I checked on them last night because I had to go back out to dump water and there weren't any eggs. But when I opened the coop at 6am, the eggs were there. Meanwhile my chickens lay during the day. Its so odd

Our ducks (silver Appleyards) lay early morning usually. They have 24/7 access to their run, but they usually make a couple nests in the corners of the duckhouse. Sometimes they'll make a nest in the run. Regardless, they lay sometime close to sunrise 99% of the time. Occasionally we'll have one laying during the day, and Martha laid one while eating her soup yesterday morning...lol. It's cold here, and I think it took the warm soup ;-)

I love the names lol I have a single appleyard female, a saxony girl, 6 khakis and 2 muscovy girls. Then I have my 4 drakes... an appleyard I think, 2 khakis boys and a muscovy boy

We also live in a cold area and used to have frozen eggs in the morning too. When I made the new duck shack I put 2 inches of blue board under the flooring which solved the problem. Ours haven't started laying again yet and we've missed our duck eggs!

Back
Top Bottom